Take a Sad Song and Make it Better

The following morning, Dean took to the radio and listened to a classic soft rock station. Sam left for a morning jog and some breakfast. Sharpening his knives, the older brother hummed along to the tunes, unaware that someone had finally gained consciousness. 

The woman sat up, and her silver hair fell across her face. She peered about the room, her face squished into mild confusion. The woman looked at the radio, puzzled by "Hey Jude," playing softly.  Dean heard the bed creak and turned to meet her gorgeous winter grey eyes; he froze for a moment. 

Shaking his head, he stood up and cleared his throat, "Are you okay? I, uh, hit you with my car the other night."

She looked up at him and stood, not quite meeting his height. "I'm doing well. Although I am slightly confused as to where I am."

The corner of Dean's mouth twitched into a smile as he replied, "A motel in Connecticut. May I ask what your name is?"

"Dodger," she looked from the window straight to his eyes. "You're Dean Winchester."

His apple-green eyes widened with surprise as he snatched a knife from the bed behind him. He held it to the girl's throat before growling, "Are you a demon?"

She seemed perplexed and surprisingly calm. "A demon? No, I'm quite the opposite." Dodger pushed his knife away from her neck. "I'm here because I am your guardian angel."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Perhaps you didn't hear me. I am your-"

Dean cut her off. "No, no, I heard you just fine." He gave her a defensive look. "I just don't know if I can trust you."

Dodger pouted lightly before sighing. "Castiel is my older brother, so is Gabriel. The Lord, my father, sent me here to watch over you, and well, make sure you don't do something stupid and get yourself killed."

The man sat down on the bed slowly, running a hand through his short hair. Dodger sat on the opposite bed lightly, her feet crossed. He let out a long breath before meeting her eyes again; she gave him a small smile. Dean felt his heart jump in his throat as he smiled back.

 "What was that? I don't even know her and my heart's jumping all over the place," he mentally scolded himself.

Sam opened the door at that time and Dodger flinched. He was out of breath and holding a bag from a bakery in town. Placing the bag on the small motel dinner table, he unzipped his sweatshirt. 

"Hey," he nodded at Dean.

Dean nodded back before motioning his head in Dodger's direction, who sat there staring at Sam with curious eyes. Sam smiled at her and walked beside Dean. "Well, hello. How are you?" The moose of a man asked as he caught his breath.

"I'm doing well, thank you, Sam."

Sam's smile faded and he stiffened his posture. Dean rolled his eyes before patting him on the back and telling him to sit down. "Sammy, meet Dodger...my Guardian Angel," Dean sighed.

"She's a Guardian Angel? I thought Cas was your angel," Sam said, flabergasted. 

Dodger chuckled and the brothers snapped their attention to her. "Castiel is not your Guardain Angel. My brother simply wanted to help you and make human friends while I was busy helping your father and mother." 

Dean choked on the coffee he'd started drinking. He wiped his mouth and looked at her with wide eyes. Sam sat there with his mouth agape and Dodger smiled sympathetically. "Yes, I knew your parents. I've been watching over you Winchesters since...well, forever."

The brothers looked at each other before looking back at her. Dean swallowed before asking with a shaky breath, "What angel...are you?"

"I'm Michael, the angel of loyalty."

Dean leaned back on the bed, unable to speak. "If you're an angel, where'd you get the Norse tattoos?"

"My brother Gabriel wanted me to get them after I lost a bet." she chuckled. "He has a few of his own." 

Sam ran a hand over his face. "Are you close to Castiel?" the younger brother quizzed.

The angel hummed a yes. "I was closest to him and Gabriel. I was close to Lucifer too before he well...I'm sure you know." The boys nodded wearily. "I haven't seen any of them in quite some time. Lately, Castiel has been with you two. Gabriel is all over the place these days. And I've been helping your family." She smiled longingly. "It would be lovely to see those two again."

The older brother cleared his throat before regaining his ability to speak. "Well, we can call Cas down if you want. I'm sure he'd be happy to see you." 

"That would make me very joyous," Dodger smiled as she looked back at Dean.

Dean couldn't help but smile back before standing up. "Hey, Cas. If you could come on down, we've got someone here that I'm sure you'd really like to see." 

Castiel appeared next to the table and looked at Dean, not noticing Dodger. "Hello, Dean. Who is here that I'd like to see?" 

Dodger stepped toward him. "Hello, brother."

In moments she was englufed in a bear hug from Castiel. She hugged him back, burying her face in his trenchcoat. He kissed the top of her head and smiled the widest the Winchesters have ever seen. Dean grinned in triumph, glad to see Castiel so happy. As they broke apart, Cas gingerly wiped away the tears from her rosy cheeks. "I've missed you, Michael," he said finally.

"I've missed you more, Cas," She laughed.

"Where have you been all this time?" he asked, brushing the hair from her face.

"Trying to find these two," She gestured toward the brothers.

The Winchesters walked over to the reunited siblings and Dean spoke up. "Well, your brother did mark us so angels couldn't sniff us out. But I suppose you're supposed to find us if you're my Guardian Angel." Dodger flashed a lopsided grin at him and Dean's heart fluttered. "Even though I have a hard time believing that," he flirted.

They all chuckled before Sam started on a new subject. "Well, now that we're all here, I have something that may be a new case for us." 

Dean sat on a cheesy, crusty old chair and motioned for his brother to continue. Sam opened his computer and clicked at it for a second before explaining. "Normally, suicides aren't all that uncommon in psychiatric wards. But these are way too gruesome to be suicides and get this, they're all missing their hearts according to the autopsies." 

"Werewolf?" The older brother said through a mouthful of pastry.

"Looks like it," Sam pushed his hair from his eyes before standing back up. "We could question some of the patients and see what they saw. I know they had a patient witness one of the more recent murders."

Dean gave him a look and Sam huffed. "What, Dean?"

"You know how I feel about questioning nut house patients. They're already seeing things so how do we know if it's a monster or it's just their brains making things up?" 

"Dean..."

"I'm just saying, Sammy. I'll do it but you've been warned," Dean stood up to get changed into his suit. 

Sam watched his brother leave to the bathroom with an annoyed look before turning back to the angels. "Could we help?" Dodger asked, excitement in her voice. 

"I have a feeling you'll follow us anyway," Sam grinned. 

"It's my job," She laughed. 

"Well, if you can dress the part then I guess...so..." Sam's voice trailed away as he saw Dodger had snapped her fingers and changed into a women's business suit. 

"Does this work?" She questioned, pulling her hair into a ponytail.

"Works for me," Dean smirked, fixing his tie.