Shattered

Later that month, Dodger appeared at the Winchester's current motel room. She'd spent the last couple days assisting Heaven with some last-minute preparations. Her eyes wandered to the window, where lightning flashed as the rain splattered against the windows, and the wind howled darkly. Seeing no one was there, she figured they were all at the local bar. She winced as her shoulder spasmed. "I must have slept weird," she muttered.

As she sat down on one of the chairs, she fancied a ringing in her ears. The silver-haired woman shook her head in an attempt to shake the feeling. She covered her ears as the noise became higher pitched. Now both shoulders throbbed with a steady pain. A groan escaped her lips as she slid from the chair to the floor. She began to whimper as the piercing noise started a headache.

A shrill shriek of agony echoed throughout the motel as she felt a searing pain down her shoulder blades. As she cried, the windows and any nearby glass shattered. Cold wind and rain whipped into the room, the wails of the wind mixing with her own. Dodger grabbed her shoulders as tears began to fall. She felt warm blood start to ooze across her back and sides. She squeezed her eyes closed as the pain traveled around her back, and the blood continued to flow. The headache became a migraine, and she heard another shatter.

Reluctantly, she opened her eyes to see a shard of clouded glass in front of her. Another splintering crackle, and she saw another piece fall. Her body stiffened. "My halo..." she whispered.

She grabbed the pieces off the floor, holding them in her hand with a broken look washing over her face. Dodger clenched her fists as another wave of pain hit her like a bus. She threw the pieces across the room as she felt them slice her hands. Her shoulders shook with ragged breaths, and the angel clenched her jaw. She rubbed her face tiredly, but all that did was smear blood across her cheeks.

Within seconds, the tearing at her back doubled in pain, and she wailed loudly. The blood running down her back made her shiver. Glancing up, she saw double of everything and blinked slowly while shaking her head. Her silver eyes glistened with tears like the glass littered across the floor. Dodger closed her eyes and rested her forehead against the floor. Her mind was spinning, and all she could hear was crunching glass, and her body being torn apart by an invisible force. She attempted to open her eyes, but her view clouded with red spots.

The last thing she heard was someone yelling her name before her world went black.

"She's lucky to be alive right now. She lost about a liter and a half of blood; that's 30% of her total blood volume," an unfamiliar voice echoed in Dodger's ears.

There was shuffling around, and Dodger struggled to open her eyes. "Can I at least see her?" Dean's voice asked with a worried undertone.

"She should wake up soon. So, yes, you can," the unfamiliar voice replied.

Dodger felt Dean's warm hand enclose her bandaged one. Slowly, she managed to open her eyes and met the anxious face of the man she loved ever so dearly. She smiled tiredly and licked her lips.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" he brushed her blood-stained silver locks from her face.

"Like I got a piano dropped on me," she met his eyes.

"Who did this to you?"

"The other angels."

"The other angels?"

She nodded. "I fell."

Dean's face turned grief-stricken as he looked her body up and down. "You fell? What do you mean you fell, Dodger?"

Her face softened. "I'm not an angel anymore, Dean. I'm human now."

"How are you so calm about this?" his voice cracked as he looked at the floor to wipe his eyes.

The pair looked up at the sound of wings flapping. Castiel and Gabriel appeared. "She knew she was going to fall," Gabriel admitted with his hands shoved into his pockets.

Castiel nodded with teary eyes as he walked over to his sister. Gabriel followed suit and stood at her bedside. The hunter stood up as his face twisted to anger. He glared at Dodger's brothers. "You knew this would happen?" he yelled.

All three of them flinched. Dodger lightly grabbed his arm, and he looked down at her. "Gabriel warned me that I would face the consequences of falling in love with a human."

Dean looked between all of them with a confused demeanor. "You fell in love?"

Dodger smiled softly. "Yes. I fell in love with this man—this insanely, dangerous man who gets himself into the worst situations. A man who acts like the toughest of them all, but in reality, is just a big softie. He's protective, compassionate, and flirty." She looked up at Dean. "And his name is Dean Winchester."

The apple-green eyed man froze in place, his mind unable to comprehend what he'd heard. "Dodger fell for me," he thought. "She fell because she loves me, and she wants to be with me regardless of the consequences." His gaze fell to Dodger, who was still smiling at him.

He kissed her without hesitation as tears pooled in his gorgeous green eyes. Dodger held him close, her heart swelling with joy. As they broke apart, the couple rested their gaze on each other. Meanwhile, Gabriel and Castiel looked at one another with proud smiles on their faces. A small knock turned everyone's attention to Sam, Dakota, and Boston standing at the doorway. The three of them walked in with relieved faces.

The following day, Dodger left the hospital and returned to the motel with the group. Dean helped her inside by gently holding her up as they walked. Earlier, Dakota and Boston had bought shirts without backs so that nothing would touch her bandages. Dodger graciously accepted them and took it to the bathroom to change. Before she went into the lavatory, Gabriel ran a hand down her back to heal the wounds to scars. Dodger thanked him as she closed the door, and he gave her a sad smile. Being as careful as possible, she took off the hospital dress.

Looking in the mirror, she gasped. With a hand over her mouth, she stared. The scars were more than just random cuts; they explicitly cut to form a shape: a pair of angel wings. Her fingers traced over what she could reach of the intricate and detailed scars. With a sinking feeling in her stomach, she changed into the shirt and rejoined the group.

"Dodger, honey, are you okay?" Dean stood up the moment she opened the door. "You look like you've seen a ghost." She looked at him before turning around to reveal her back.

"Oh my god," Boston clapped a hand to her mouth. Sam rested a hand on Dodger's shoulder, and she turned to face them with tears pooling in her silver eyes. Dean engulfed her into a hug, shushing and cooing her. "I know, baby. I know," he whispered.

The rest of them decided it would be best if they left Dean and Dodger alone. So the four of them silently exited the room. Dodger held onto Dean's shirt, her face buried into his chest. He rocked them back and forth as he kissed her head. Quietly, the apple-green eyed man began to hum "Carry On Wayward Son" by Kansas. Dodger's crying gradually subsided to hiccups as she listened to Dean's singing.

"Carry on my wayward son; there'll be peace when you are done. Lay your weary head to rest," he whispered into her hair as he kissed her forehead. "Don't you cry no more."

She smiled into his chest, and his fingers gingerly traced over the scars. For a long moment, neither of them said a word. Dodger stood there and allowed him to wander over the wounds. For her, it was comforting to know that he still felt the same way even though she fell. Their minds were in the same thought process of being there to protect one another, regardless of the circumstances. "You mean so much to me, Dodger," Dean rested his chin on her head. "Angel or not, you're still my guardian."

A small chuckle escaped her lips as their eyes met. Dean looked down at her with a smile as he tucked a few stray locks behind her ear. "Even though I'm human now," she grinned. "I'll still watch over you. After all, it's my job."

Dean chuckled as he pulled her closer. "That's my girl."