22. arboretum

Keith and Lance decided against showing their friends their suits vaguely off of Lance saying "I want it to be a surprise when we walk in looking like new money.", with his signature wink. Keith just shrugged.

" As long as I don't have to pose. "

The week passed, and they worked hard on their current shoots. Keith eventually got sleep that weekend, and Lance was busy helping Hunk ask Shay out. To go on their first date.

They were dating now, but Shay had "wondered aloud" why they hadn't had an actual date. Hunk hadn't stopped thinking about it, worried he wasn't living up to her expectations of a boyfriend.

"What if she dumps me? How could I be so stupid and not take her out?" Hunk asked Lance, running his hands through his hair, disraught.

"She's not gonna dump you dude. Your perfect. You guys are perfect. Together. Alright?" Lance tried to reassure his friend. Hunk vaguely nodded. " Just take her out. Somewhere special. "

"Yeah, yeah ok. Uh." He looked at Lance confused. " Where? "

Lance turned pink. "Dude, I dunno. She's your girl. Not mine."

" Right, right. " Hunk tapped his knee. "Somewhere special..."

" What's she into? "

"Flowers. Plants. Earth." Hunk said without hesitation. Lance smiled.

" Alright, so choose somewhere that has those things. "

Hunk stared at his hands for a minute. Then he snapped his head up, smiling. "The arboretum!"

Lance clapped. "Bingo."

So now, here was Hunk, at his family's restaurant on a Friday. It was half past one, and ten minutes until he would need to leave to pick up Shay.

"Why are you so nervous?" His cousin Lina asked. Her strong build and choppy dark hair gave her a shocking resemblance to Hunk. She was one of his best friends.

Hunk stood in the kitchen, in his white button up and khakis. His hair was combed out and his Mama had forced him to leave his headband at home.

He squirmed as his family tried to calm him.

"I don't know! I just- I don't want to disappoint her." He looked at his feet.

"Ah, my ray of sunshine" Hunk's grandmother caressed his cheek. "You are going to make this girl very very happy, she's already the luckiest girl in the world."

Hunk blushed and smiled. "Thanks Mima."

"You've been pining after each other for so long, that I'm sure she is just as nervous as you." Lina added. " So cute. "

Hunk laughed. "Maybe..."

" But whatever you're feeling, it's going to disappear when you see her. " Hunk's older brother Bruno spoke. "Trust me. It'll just be you and her."

" Ooooo. " Cooed Hunk's twin nephews Lorenzo and Isaac. They snickered.

Hunk smiled. "Thanks. All of you. I'm sorry I'm such a pain."

" Noo, just the opposite! " Hunk's mother said.

"Now go, don't leave her waiting." Janie said, Hunk's sister with her waist length honey hair.

" And treat her well. Like I raised you son. " Hunk's dad called with a wink.

"You act like I'm getting married." Hunk chuckled as he left the kitchen. Once he had left Lina chuckled.