🥀 Chapter Four 🥀

* Edited *

Who wants to play a game?

It's time for hide and seek.

Run, run, run.

Time to run and hide...

Monica leads Grace down the hall and up the huge staircase, breathing heavily as she comes to a stop just beside a small bench against one of the walls in the long hall. She releases her friend’s hand and reaches behind the bench to retrieve the bag she had placed there earlier.  

“Sit down and take your shoes off.” she instructs Grace whilst taking a seat and removing her own heels. Then, after removing her heels and upon seeing that Grace had done as told, Monica takes out the items in the bag; two pairs of thick non-slip socks, pepper spray, and a small hunting knife. She hands a very confused Grace, a pair of the socks, and tells her to put them on before pulling on her own.

“Mon, why do you have a knife?” Grace asks with concern.

“I can’t explain right now. Just please, listen to me, okay?”

Grace shakes her head and releases a nervous chuckle, “no, you need to tell me why you have a knife for a game of hide and seek. Now.” she demands with folded arms.

Monica releases a sigh and lifts her dress to reveal a knife holster on her thigh. Wordlessly, she places the knife in the sheath and drops her dress back down. No one but Grace knew she had a knife, and she planned to keep it that way, for now. She picks up the pepper spray and holds it out for Grace, who simply stares at her like she has lost her mind.

With another frustrated and anxious sigh, she steps forward and takes her friends' hands in her own. She looks Grace in the eye for a long moment, her emotions visibly surfacing for Grace to see the fear and sadness swirling within her eyes. Grace’s brows pull together, confused by the sudden shift in her friend; she could feel Monica trembling.

“Do you trust me, Gracie?” Monica asks seriously.