🥀 Chapter Eleven 🥀

* Edited *

“You’re masking your pain with humour and sarcasm.”

“Yeah, no shit.” Monica mutters with a sigh whilst running a hand through her messy hair.

“You're angry.”

“Well, the man I love is dead because of you. So forgive me for not bowing at your feet like the rest of these fuckers, won’t you.” She retorts sarcastically.

Mr Le bail frowns and shakes his head whilst leaning back in his chair, clearly not agreeing with what she had said about him. “I didn’t kill him.” He says firmly.

Meanwhile, Grace watches the exchange with curiosity and anger bubbling within her. She could see all the pain and confusion hiding in the depths of Monica’s eyes. Swirling and clashing like the ocean waves during a storm.

She was sure that Monica was crumbling inside because sarcasm was her only defence mechanism. It helped her appear less affected by things than she truly was. It allowed her to pretend everything was okay when in fact, it wasn’t.

Of course, Mr Le Bail sat there with a smirk, thinking he was something important, when in reality, he was the source of all Monica’s pain and suffering, especially as a child. His absence in her life had a deep impact upon her, yet he appeared too selfish to notice or care.

“Yes, you did.” Monica insists, her eyes hard. “Your deal with their great-grandfather started the domino effect that led to his death. So, regardless of whether it was by your hands directly or not, you are the reason he is dead.” She explains with arms folding across her chest, her stance radiating confidence.

“Oh, and you can kiss my perky ass all the way to the pits of hell if you think you’re taking Grace from me too.”

Mr Le Bail chuckles, amusement sparkling in his dark eyes. He had to admit, he enjoyed watching Monica. She had a fire in her, one he himself had so long ago. She wasn’t afraid of him nor was she looking for anything from him. He simply was nothing of importance to her and surprisingly, it was something he found himself admiring about his only daughter.

“You remind me so much of a younger version of myself.” He admits.

Monica’s expression fixes into a deep glare, one of hatred and annoyance. She could feel her resentment for the man before her surfacing, threatening to explode from within her. She was fighting it back, trying to remain strong and composed in an effort to make him think he meant nothing to her, while in reality, he was the disappointing face and voice to the man she had dreamt and thought of since being a small child.

“I am nothing like you. I will never be like you. I am not your daughter and you are not my family.” she declares whilst standing taller, ready to take him on if needed.

He smirks proudly and leans forward, resting his chin on the palm of his hand. “Oh, but you are my daughter.” He emphasises smugly. “You are more like me than you care to admit.”

Monica shakes her head as tears threaten to consume her already pained green eyes. Everything was happening all at once, breaking her down internally with no anchor in sight to cling to. She had already lost the love of her life and now she was being forced to handle this bombshell.

It felt unfair and cruel.

She didn’t need nor want to deal with her supposed father tonight. He’d been absent from the moment she had been conceived and now, on the very night Daniel dies, he decides to show up and declare his title as the devil.

Seriously, she had to be losing it. This was insane and impossible.

But she would not crumble in his presence. She would not allow him to see the damage his absence had left her with. Not now, not ever.