🥀 Chapter Nine 🥀

* Edited *

The room is dimly lit by candles that have been placed strategically around the large room. Monica could smell the burning wax as her eyes fluttered open, squinting within the candlelight around her.

She groaned with head swaying to the side, still feeling weak and sore. Her whole body ached painfully, her back alone throbbing with an agonising burning sensation she truly wouldn’t wish on her worst enemy.

Meanwhile, along her head and cheek, blood trickled down, smearing along her pale skin. She frowned at the feel of it as her mind circled back to the accident she had survived. She could vaguely recall hitting her head against something hard before everything went black.

She had clearly been injured and knocked out cold within the crash that had taken place. So, perhaps the blood was sourced from a head injury she had acquired during the ordeal. Or perhaps, she had been attacked by the frustrated family while unconscious.

Either way, she felt like utter shit.

Her brows knitted together at the sound of unfamiliar chanting, finding it both confusing and eerie. Her head tilted up curiously as her eyes blinked in an effort to clear her current blurry vision. It took a few moments of watching shapes and shadows move back and forth around the room before it eventually did.