🥀 Chapter Thirteen 🥀

* Edited *

Daniel runs his fingers through Monica’s hair, admiring her as she sleeps. She had collapsed from exhaustion pretty soon after her breakdown; no longer able to keep her eyes open or keep her emotions contained. He had cradled her securely in his arms as they walked to the far guest house on the Le Domas grounds.

Grace and Alex had insisted on staying in the large guest house with them, mainly because Grace was worried about Monica and wanted to be nearby if needed. Though, Alex was trying to persuade her to go to the hospital to have her hand checked over.

Daniel had been sure to remove her shoes and bloodied dress with the help of Grace before placing Monica under the covers of the bed in just her underwear. He had remained respectful and gentlemanly as he removed her clothing, having no intention to invade her privacy like that.

He would wait until she was ready for him to look at her in that manner. Until she was ready to give herself completely to him. He had been sure to have a fairly quick shower, whilst Grace sat with her friend, making sure to throw on some pyjama pants before walking back into their shared room.

Grace had left soon after to speak with Alex but had promised to return much to Daniel’s dismay. He wanted Monica to himself tonight. He needed to just lay with her and hold her. In fact, she was lighting his soul on fire by just being beside him.

He smiled as her soft snores filled the room, followed by incoherent words she was muttering in her sleep. He wondered how someone going through so much inner turmoil could look so peaceful.

He knew in this moment that he loved her more than anything. That he would do all her could to help her get through this. He would pick up her broken pieces and put them back together with the love and respect he held for her. He'd even ultimately die for her again, if needed.

He couldn’t live without her just as she herself couldn’t seem to function without him, or at least that’s how it had appeared when he had miraculously returned from his brief and temporary death.

“How is she?”

Daniel’s gaze lifts to look at his sister in law while noting that she was now clean and wearing a pair of sweats with a fresh bandage around her injured hand. He smiles lazily and beckons her into the room, “She's okay,” he reassures.

“She's still sleeping peacefully. Thank god. I really don’t think I could have handled seeing her suffer more than she already was.” he confesses whilst letting his gaze fall to his beloved. His fingers went back to stroking her brunette hair from her face.

Grace smiles as she watches him admire her friend, she was happy for the two of them. More than happy, in fact. She was elated.

They'd finally - after everything they had battled - found one another.

She knew that Daniel would never intentionally hurt Monica or put her life in danger. But still, concern began to pick away at her enough for her to feel the need to speak with him about her worries. And right now, it seemed to be a perfect opportunity with Monica unable to hear them and Alex busy getting the car ready.

So, of course, Grace took it.

“She was destroyed by your death, Daniel.” she whispers whilst looking up to meet Daniel’s troubled gaze.