CH 6: Doppler Effect

"Perfect!" Mom exclaimed. She was teary-eyed and I wasn't sure what was causing her to shed tears – the confirmation that her daughter's still a virgin or the idea that I got proposed to by one.

He really thinks I am buying that crap? I thought as I looked at Castor kneeling in front of me.

I knew that I couldn't lose face. Not when the jerk obviously realized just what exactly I had in mind.

I am so going to make you regret the day you were born, Castor Saenz!

I had wanted his rejection to be epic on the account that I knew and I was so sure that everyone who had been within a hundred meter radius of Castor  also knew that he was no virgin.

"You are?" I asked trying my hardest to sound pleased. "You truly are pure?"

He had the audacity to nod.

How thick-faced could this guy be?!

I beamed. "That is such a relief. I have been begging the Almighty to guide me to the right man and you have shown one of the three signs that I have earnestly prayed for. I just need to see two more."

I saw how his left brow rose.

I can do this all day, Castor Saenz. I can even do this for years. I guess we are both going to die single because I will only marry you when hell freezes over!

"Ayn..." Mom's voice sounded pleading. "Are you not going to accept Castor's proposal? He's been kneeling there for minutes..."

I dramatically expelled a heavy breath. "Castor..." I held his hand intending to guide his fingers to close around the ring as I tried to formulate a more biting refusal.

"I'm so..."

I was supposed to say sorry. I'm so sorry but I want to be my future husband's first and only girlfriend like how he's the only man in my life...

But Castor shook his head at me. Don't even go there, Ayn.

Oh, watch me... I silently retorted. Watch me go where you don't want me to go...

He lowered his head.

Crap, don't tell me he's crying?!

"Ayn Rand Albarracin..." he quietly said as he raised his head to look at me.

"Yes?" I habitually replied.

"Thank you..." he spoke before slipping the ring into my finger.

I stared uncomprehendingly at him before my eyes widened in horror.

You tricked me! I wanted to scream but my mother beat me to it.

"Oh, my God, she said yes!" Berenice Albarracin emotionally announced as she stood up clapping. "My daughter said yes!"

"Mom, I didn't—"

But Castor's family had crowded around me giving me hugs and shaking my hand.

"I was worried na baka hindi mo tanggapin 'yung proposal ni Kuya!" a young woman happily said. "He wasn't able to sleep last night and we talked over cups of coffee until the wee hours of the morning! Congratulations to you and Kuya, Ate!"

"Wait—" I started to protest but another woman threw her arms around me.

"I am so happy!" she squealed. "For a minute, my heart really broke for Kuya but thank God you said yes, Ate Ayn! Naku, he was not able to eat breakfast and he spent hours pacing in front of us because he was so nervous!"