CH 17: Volta Potential

What do you mean exactly by I have to move in with you and be your wife? You're not talking about sex, are you?"

He laughed. "Why do you equate everything that I say with sex, gusto mo ba?"

"You're so ew. So, explain to me kung ano ang ibig mong sabihin?"

"Sa akin ka na tumira or else it won't be believable if we stay married for a year and live in different houses."

"But it would be stupid if I move in with you when I just live next door."

"Hindi naman tayo sa condo titira kundi sa bahay ko."

"You want me to live with your parents?" I asked aghast. "The answer is no!"

"Of course not. I own a house, Ayn, bakit naman tayo sa bahay ng mga magulang ko titira?"

"You own a house? What the hell for?"

"Huh? What's so damning about owning a house?"

"I mean you have a condo and you have your parents' home to go to just in case you're craving for something homier. Besides, you're single, it's kind of weird..."

"You know what, you and Mrs. Montemayor should talk. That's what she told my friend, who's now her husband, when she, too, learned that he owns a house."

"You seem to have weird friends. But I'll give your friend's wife a call one of these days para makapag-usap kami. Napaka-rare sa henerasyon natin ang may sariling bahay, as in bahay at hindi apartment o condo. Our generation's idea of home is a unit in some condominium that's located where bars, coffee shops, restos, and our offices are in complete harmony with each other."

"Siguro...but I have always planned ahead. I don't want to raise my children in a condo where their backyard is the building's hallways and their pool is shared by hundreds of other residents."

"Napaka-far-thinking mo naman pala, Castor Saenz."

"You have no idea how far my thoughts go, Mrs. Saenz—"

"Engr. Albarracin. Or Ayn. Stop calling me Mrs. Saenz."

"Bakit?"

"Because I find it odd to be called Mrs. Saenz."

"Then the more reason to call you Mrs. Saenz so you'll get used to it," he said. "So, paano kailan ka pala lilipat, Mrs. Saenz?"

"I haven't said yes to that offer yet."

"Come on, nagdadalawang-isip ka talaga? Tell me, may maniniwala ba sa atin na mag-asawa tayo if we're not living together? Sa tingin mo ba ay kakagatin ng pamilya natin na mag-asawa tayo if they'll learn that you live in your condo and I live in mine?"

"How the hell would they know?"

"They would, believe me. Parents have a knack for knowing their children's secrets. Kahit gaano mo pa itago 'yan. That's why if we want them to believe that we're together, we have to be very careful and very detailed."

I groaned.

"Pero depende pa rin naman sa'yo 'yun. I am just giving you inputs if you want to pull this off."

I sighed. "Shit, I hate this mess. God, I'm not going to drink ever again."

I heard him laugh softly.

"Don't laugh, this is like 50.1% your fault."

"I'll take 99.9% percent of the blame if that's going to make you feel better. Pero, nandito na 'to, Mrs. Saenz, and we have both agreed that we're going to face this together. I promise I am going to make it up to you for as long as I'm breathing."