The Most Fertile Person in the World

It was only a few days later that the OBGyn that Tony had arranged was set up in the Tower and I had my first appointment. Her name was Doctor Schroeder and apparently, she was the best in the city and Tony was paying so that by the time of the baby's due date, I would be her only patient.

"Mister Stark gave me a rundown on what's happened. So we might start by getting your birth control out. But first. Do you have any questions?" She said as Steve, Wanda, Natasha and I all sat in her exam room. I was sitting in one of those hospital gowns and nothing else. I still hadn't seen the others. Steve had said Sam had gone to see his family. Natasha assured me Clint was reading because he needed to get his head around the idea he was going to be a parent. Hulk was still around which meant Bruce was not. Bucky was still isolating as was Tony. Except where Steve saw Bucky every day, no one had seen Tony at all.

"What are the odds of this happening?" Steve asked as Wanda gave my hand a squeeze.

"The birth control Doctor Cooper was on was 99% percent effective. They say for every 1000 women on it one gets pregnant every three years. On top of the fact that you men were all on a birth control developed by doctor Banner? Now I have no idea how effective it was because there was a lack of clinical trials but I would say you have a 1 in 2000 chance of this happening really. That baby apparently really really wanted to exist." Doctor Schroeder explained. I didn't know if I felt better or worse hearing that. Like if it was the most unlucky thing to happen or maybe I was really lucky.

"And it's healthy?" Steve asked.

"We'll need to take a look, but birth control like Doctor Coopers just stops ovulation, it happened anyway. I looked at the kind you are on, and it's similar but with sperm production." She answered. "Basically you have the guys that are the absolute strongest competitors coming together. It won't have affected their health."

The problem was that wasn't the only thing we had to worry about. I looked at Steve and took a breath. "What - Do you know what will happen if it's - if Steve or Bucky or Bruce are the parent?" I asked.

She sighed. "That I can't tell you. We will monitor things carefully. As you know we can narrow it down if you want, so we know if we have anything extra to be concerned about."

"I'm here," Steve said. "You can take a sample - a small sample - for comparisons."

"I thought you didn't want to know?" I said.

"If there is an issue with health, for the sake of your sanity. We should do it." He said rubbing my leg. "But I do not want to know. That baby will be all of ours, no matter the parentage."

"Okay. Well, how about this, I'll work out if the baby is genetically either yours, Sergeant Barnes, or Doctor Banner's when he returns, and then I'll know if there's something to keep an eye on, but I won't pass that along unless I have to?" She suggested.

Steve gave a curt nod. "I agree to these terms."

"Alright. If there's nothing else for the moment we'll start by taking the birth control out. Then I'll take some blood samples and then we can take a look. See who we're dealing with in there." She said.

"I'm good if you are," Nat said to me. I got up on the examination chair and Wanda sat beside me holding my arm as Doctor Schroeder took blood samples, gave me a local anesthetic and took out the implant before sewing it up with paper stitches and putting gauze over it.

She then took a few vials of blood from Steve and explained that the earliest she could do paternity was eight weeks and that she would make a plan for that based on how far along I was now.