Chapter 13

For all the passion and fire that Alex and Julian's relationship had begun with - twice - it was snuffed out without much ado at all.  Alex had awoken the day after he'd asked Julian to leave and, surprisingly enough, life continued onward.  The noise of the city, the traffic, the throngs of people, they were all still there.  His work remained, with one pressing issue after another, figurative fires in constant need of being put out.  Along with other responsibilities that might be preferably forgotten. 

Forgetting was Alexander's favorite way to deal with anything of a difficult and emotional nature, so he threw himself into his city. What normally would have taken his office months to compete was finished within weeks.  His staff was exhausted, but the public opinion of Alex couldn't be higher. That was worth celebrating, wasn't it? 

Of course the celebration he was about to be saddled with was not one Alex would have chosen.  Working his way through yet another contract, Mont Blanc in hand as he read over each line with excruciating patience, Alex only spared an iota of attention to his office phone as it rang.  It was his assistant, meaning he paid her even less mind.  She was a new addition to the office, a lovely young woman who had been brought in to replace the meddling Sebastian, but assistants were hired for a reason, to assist. Meaning that she was meant to take the weight from Alex when it came to sorting out his day to day. 

Unfortunately she hadn't quite gotten the hang of all her responsibilities.  With too chipper of a tone she announced the arrival of a surprise visitor. She didn't ask if Alex was available, even though he'd asked to not be disturbed, she just stated that someone had stopped by to see him.  Normally Alex would  have been irritated by being interrupted for a pop in visit and an utter lack of gatekeeping by his staff.  But she was new, and darling, and after being burned by Sebastian as long as she wasn't trying to humiliate and undermine him, she was okay in Alex's book. 

Plus, she had used that magic word; donor.  A politician was only as good as the money that backed him.  And, unfortunately for Alex, he didn't have enough personal wealth to back himself.  Meaning that he needed each and every dime that came his way in order to keep his dream and career alive. 

Giving in to the interruption Alex opted to straighten his desk and his tie, before  running his fingers quickly through his curls in order to straighten any which may have fallen out of place.  Reading himself Alex rose, pasting that well-practiced welcoming smile across his features.  That well-practiced smile which faltered the second Dick Richardson walked in through the double doors of Alex's office. 

In fact, that smile faltered and fixed itself so many times Alex looked as though he was about to have a fit.

"Bless you."  Dick offered with that damnable charm and a smile of his own.  "Mind if I sit?" 

Alex, for his part, still didn't know what in the hell was going on, and he was becoming more and more confused with each passing second.  It didn't help that his mind was racing in a dozen different directions and he tried to figure out what to do next.

"Thanks."  He replied after too long of a moment.  All those facial twitches had apparently made it look as though Alex was about to sneeze. He wiggled his nose for good measure, and gestured to one of the leather club chairs set before his desk. "Feel free."  

Often, Alex would cross around to the front of the wooden monstrosity and lean against it, ankles crossed towards whoever had decided to stop by and see him.  It left visitors with an air of casual comfort, it made Alex seem approachable and caring, and generally this was what he wanted.  That day, though, Alex wanted as much space and power to be put in place between him and the other man.  He had no idea why Dick was there, but he was relatively certain he wasn't going to like it.

Especially since he hadn't spoken to Julian since that night.  There was no telling what had transpired, though as he always had, Alex trusted Julian completely.

Depositing himself into the embrace of maroon calfskin, Dick smiles pleasantly at Alex.  Dick wasn't an imposing man by any means, he looked like some sort of friendly soccer dad.  But there was an unmistakable air about him, one that reeked of money and power and always getting his way.  Perhaps that was what had drawn Julian to him.  Ambition and success being his type more than blonde hair and tan skin. 

Those thoughts were less than helpful, and had he been alone in his office Alex would have liberated the bottle of whiskey stashed in the bottom left drawer of his desk.  Years ago there'd have been a functioning bar in the office, but in present times day drinking tended to be frowned upon. 

Much like Dick was currently frowning.  It wasn't a full downward pull of his lips, but instead a much more dangerous expression somewhere between gentle understanding and crushing disappointment.  "I have to admit."   Dick began, examining a fingernail before turning his gaze to Alex. "I thought you would have called by now." 

"Oh?"  It took every ounce of Alex's being to remain unperturbed and nonchalant in his response. 

"Yes."  Dick nodded, taking a moment to look around the luxurious office.  "When last we spoke you agreed to help me with Julian's birthday.  Don't tell me you forgot."   His eyes narrowed ever so slightly in annoying and agitation.  Apparently Dick wasn't accustomed to being kept waiting.

"No."  Alex shook his head and conjured up his best grin.  "Not at all.  We've just had a couple of very productive weeks."  You know with Alex doing his job and avoiding his emotions.  Rather than being face to face with his soulmate's husband. 

"Wonderful."  Dick leaned forward expectantly.  "So tell me, what exactly did you have in mind?"