9: NINE

Grey was in his office as some members of the pack rushed in. He looked up from his laptop, immediately standing up. "What is it?"

"There's something you need to see."

Grey followed Nolan through the woods, far into its depths. As they came to the largest red oak, Grey paled, noticing exactly why his pack members needed his attention. He sighed, walking passed his fighters, kneeling next to the body. He felt anger surge through him. 

His pack had more than a thousand lycanthropes in it. He knew each and every member. The body laying on the ground was Andrew Simmons, a boy who worked in the library archive. He was kind and wanted to attend college.

Grey could smell a scent and he turned to his members. "You sent trackers out?"

"Immediately, Alpha."

"Get Andrew cleaned. Tell his parents we'll take care of the burial and charges. For now, let's examine the scene– see if we can find anything that may lead to who did this."

"Do you think it was someone in the pack?"

Grey shook his head. "No. If it was I would be able to smell it. It looks like it was a lycanthrope judging by the marks on his chest. Andrew must have shifted and then shifted back once he died."

"Who would do this?"

Grey grimaced, standing up. Like it or not, there were many packs that wanted to see his pack fall from its rank. He couldn't think of any pack, however, that would want to start a war. Rogues often were docile, only seeking independence or another pack to join, so he didn't believe it was them. He didn't understand why someone would commit this tragedy, but he would damn sure find who it was.

Grey excused himself briefly to go back to the packhouse. As he entered, everyone was solemn. News traveled quickly in the pack, so Grey didn't expect anything less. He had to return to the site soon, but he had something more important to take care of. "Nolan, come to my office with Abigail immediately."

Grey didn't wait for a response as he went up to his office where his parents were already waiting. "What a tragedy," Irabella mumbled.

"Yes," Grey agreed, closing his laptop. "I'm going to meet up with our trackers." Grey watched as Nolan entered with his mate. "I'm going on the hunt," he said, "but I need a favor."

"What is it?" Nolan asked.

"Marisol," he stated. "I want you all to go to her house and protect her."

"But Greyson, we are needed here. The pack needs–"

Greyson interrupted Abigail. "The pack needs closure of which I will find. Gamma Braxton will remain to look after the pack. I know this is a lot to ask."

Abigail nodded. "Are you sure you want us to leave?"

"She's my mate."

She nodded. "Alright. Of course I'll go."

"I'll go too," Nolan said as Grey's parents also nodded.

"She's a member of the pack whether she knows it or not," Irabella said, standing.

"Go as soon as possible," Grey said as he grabbed his phone and went to his room. He quickly packed a bag to take with him and then walked out the door as his family shifted and went to Marisol's house.

Irabella sat next to her mate while Nolan sat next to his. All four were in their wolf form, hidden in the nearby woods behind her house. Carlisle was the biggest with deep grey fur and lightning blue eyes. His wolf had gone through a lot in its lifetime and the scars under his fur were a testament. His mate, Irabella was a beautiful golden wolf with deep brown eyes. She had a speck of black on her back paw and was the second largest of all four. Alphas and Lunas tended to be the largest in this form.