23: Second Trimester

SECOND TRIMESTER: WEEK 22

Marisol painfully closed her eyes, hearing her beloved dog whimper. She was told Tala attacked the man who conned his way into her home. The fight left Tala severely injured. Ever since Tala had been at the vet hospital and Marisol refused to leave her side.

Greyson stood by the door, watching Marisol cry into her palms once again. She had no physical wounds, but her emotional turmoil was far worse. He had promised her nothing would hurt her again. He was made a liar. Tala's fate was grim, but Marisol insisted she received the best care possible.

"The man who attacked you was a beta of a rival pack," he explained, walking into the room. He stood behind her chair and watched as she leaned her head against his stomach.

"I-I thought there was a date decided for when the combat would begin."

"There was. They broke it."

"Do you think they'll try something else again?"

"Maybe they have something planned, but it won't get that far."

"How can you be sure?"

He kissed the top of her head. "I just am. Abigail has woken up."

She turned in her seat quickly. "Can I see her?"

"My mother is coming to take you to her," he said with a subtle nod. There was a quaint knock on the door and Grey looked at Irabella with a soft gaze.

"Sweetheart, are you ready?"

"I-I can't leave Tala–"

"I'll stay with her," he affirmed. She hesitantly stood up, needing a little help from Greyson. Irabella cautiously grabbed her hand, leading her out of the room. Greyson sighed, walking around the bed where the half-breed laid, unmoving. He ran his tough hand through her fur, wrapping behind her ear. Her leg twitched and he smiled.

"You better not die, pup."

His heart swelled as he heard her scoff in response. He stayed by her, rubbing his hand over her fur. He was tired of seeing people around him get hurt. He promised Marisol she would be safe. He couldn't risk this convoluted war anymore. He could end it. Granted, he wasn't sure if it would end in his favor, but he could end it, stopping this tirade of pain and havoc.

He sat down again, linking someone to come to this room. He'd end this. Whether he survived or not. After a few minutes, a young guard came to the door. Greyson allowed him in and handed him a seal note.

"Alpha?" The boy asked.

"Take this straight into the rival border. Wear white. Tell them it's letter from me."

"But what is it, Alpha?"

"A request," he said. "Once you have given this note, go to our allies and explain two them the situation."

"Y-you're challenging him? For this pack?"

"Yes."

"With all due respect, Alpha, you have a mate and pups on the way...a challenge to an Alpha position is one to the death."

"Go, please. And do not tell your Luna or my parents. Tell no one."

Greyson watched as the young male retreated out of the room. He looked back at Tala who finally blinked her eyes slowly. "I guess you're alright."

She kicked her leg to which Grey grabbed it gently and stroked her fur again. "Thank you for saving her."

She growled softly, but he understood her command. "I know," he whispered. His eyes went to her heartbeat line and saw that it had dulled. He called the vet in, but all he could hear was the obnoxious high-pitched ring of a flat line.