Chapter 10

I know it's been forever, but I'm back and ready to get into this book again. I hope you enjoy!

<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>

A steady beep filled my ears as my eyes began to flutter open, struggling against the bright light. As my eyes finally won the battle and adjusted to the room I was in, confusion overflowed my senses.

I was laying on what appeared to be a hospital bed in a pure white room. As I glanced around I took in the visitor chairs and the monitor set up next to me, indicating that it was forming the beeping noise of my heart rate. As I glanced down at my hand I cringed at the IV taped there. I never was a fan of needles.

As I took in the view of my leg, I froze as the memories of what occurred not long ago came rushing back to the surface.

Panic began to fill me as I remembered the wolf morphing into a man in front of me. And on top of that, so did Xavier. I thought I could trust them. What did they really want with me? There's no way werewolves exist, right? Maybe my injury was so bad that I was hallucinating at the time.

I was finding it hard to concentrate as my thoughts jumped from one place to another, unsure what the most important topic should be.

While stuck within my thoughts I failed to realize my heart monitor was beeping at an increasing rate due to my panic. I also failed to see the door slam open as Xavier came rushing in, concern written all over his face.

The sound of his voice brought me from my trance and I jolted as I noticed he was hovering over me, causing pain to surge through my leg. A small groan exited my mouth causing Xavier to come closer, however it only made it worse.

"Please don't hurt me, I-I don't know what you guys want with me. I don't want to be werewolf dinner or anything like that, please I just want to live a normal life!" I didn't care that I interrupted whatever he was saying, I couldn't hear the words anyway. I struggled to push myself up the bed while I pled for my life, ignoring the pain that brought tears to my eyes.

Xavier's features morphed from concern to confusion as he took in my words, looking unsure of what to say. Taking in my panicked state, he seemed to realize he was hurting rather than helping and took a step back from the hospital bed I laid upon.

"Anna, I promise you we aren't going to hurt you. I thought we already got past this stage of your fear, you haven't been this afraid around us since the first few days you got here."

"That was before you turned into a wolf." My voice was barely a whisper as I continued to curl up into myself trying to provide comfort and warmth to my shaking body but it only resulted in pain. 

Understanding seemed to cross his features as he took in my words. He took hesitant and slow steps away from my bed as he walked to the opposite end of the room, picking up a visitor chair and dragging it over to the side of my bed.

As he placed his large form in the almost too small visitor chair for him, an exhausted sigh escaped his lips. He leaned forward allowing his elbows to rest on his knees as he dropped his head into his hands. "I was worried you would react like this."

His voice was soft and nearly a whisper as there was a tone to it I couldn't decipher. It almost sounded like he was hurt by my reaction. Despite this, I remained in my curled up position still unsure of what was to come. However, my heart rate had slowed a fraction and I frowned realizing that I was relaxing because I was in Xavier's presence. Over the past couple of weeks this had seemed to be a common occurrence, one that confused me to no end. I was still extremely jumpy and hesitant around Xavier's dad but not with him. It made no sense.

I was once again broken out of my thoughts as Xavier lifted his head to rest his chin on his folded hands. His eyes shone with what looked to be sadness and worry. "How does your leg feel?"

I removed my eyes from his face as I looked down to my injured leg which was giving a dull ache due to my curled up position. I whispered out a quick, "Okay," attempting to avoid any conversation until he told me what was really going on.

Xavier frowned at my lack of words and let out another deep sigh. "We're not going to hurt you, Anna. Do you remember what happened? I saved your life. Why would I save you just to hurt you later on?" He tried reasoning with me.

I rested my head on my knees acknowledging the fact that he made a valid point. What would be the point of him risking his life to save mine if he just wanted to see me suffer? He could have just let those nasty beasts eat me alive. A shiver shot through me at the thought of the encounter and those beady red eyes.

I nodded my head showing him I somewhat trusted what he said. Despite saving me he still turned into a wolf just like them, the only difference being his eyes.

Xavier lifted himself from his chair as he walked to the end of my bed and began to pace back and forth across the empty space of the room. He looked conflicted as he held his head in his hand, his other placed firm on his hip.

After several minutes had passed Xavier dropped both of his hands as he stopped to face me. "Would you like to hear my story and why you're here?"

I simply sat and stared at him, remaining in my current position. He took my silence as a yes.

"As you most likely have already figured out I'm a werewolf. Well, not just me but everyone living here is one." The pacing resumed as he talked. "In a pack of werewolves there is an Alpha, Beta and Third in Command to lead the pack while the rest are simply referred to as pack members. The Alpha is the strongest of the pack and rules along side his Luna, controlling all matters concerning pack affairs. The Beta is the second strongest and works alongside the Alpha to assist and fill in any duties the Alpha cannot. Does this make any sense?" He turned to take in my expression as he recognized his rambling.

My eyes were wide as I took in the information he provided. All of them were werewolves? Andrea said there was hundreds of people living here. Woah. I was unsure what to do with that information, unaware of how to act when you find out there's a whole other species living among humans. Surprisingly I wasn't freaking out as much as I thought I would be. As I processed the information, several questions popped into my mind as I tried to figure out which one to ask first.

I nodded my head to confirm I understood what he said. He also nodded and began to open his mouth to begin again when he realized I had done the same thing. The words died on his tongue as he waited for me to ask a question, giving me an encouraging smile.

"So the Alpha is the strongest? Who is he?" I voiced softly. This was my biggest question as I decided to avoid that man at all costs. If he was the strongest then I wouldn't put myself in his path, unwilling to risk the chance of him hurting me. If he was the leader then he would most likely be strict and take nothing from anyone.

A soft smile came to Xavier's face even though his eyes portrayed worry and hope at the same time. It made my eyebrows scrunch together, unaware of what could give him that expression.

"That would be me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright this is chapter 10! I must say I really enjoyed writing this chapter since it's been so long. I hope you liked it and feel free to leave a comment on what you thought about it!

Stay safe and healthy ❤️

xx kerfuffled_