Chapter 23

I know what you're thinking. Ugh, not again where she asks us for the billionth time if this cover would be better - but I'm just too indecisive. So here comes the dreaded question: would this be better or worse? lol it took me twenty years to make this one but it was pretty cool making it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I popped a piece of buttery goodness into the confinements of my mouth as I watched the movie on the television screen. Xavier and I were having a lazy day, staying in bed and watching movies as we stretched out beside one another. The occasional laugh, smile or shared glance would arise but other than that the silence of the room surrounded us with serenity.

Absentmindedly placing my right hand in the bowl of popcorn while my eyes were glued to the screen, I failed to notice Xavier's large one already in it. I quickly brought my hand to my lap and threw him a sheepish smile. "Sorry." I muttered but allowed my gaze to travel to its wanted victim; the climax of the movie.

A deep chuckle sounded out from my right as Xavier crunched loudly on his popcorn. "Oh, I see I'm no longer wanted here. You would be comfortable with just the television and the popcorn as your mate wouldn't you?"

Without focusing on his words I simply nodded my head in reply, hoping it would make sense with the question he had asked. The movie had my full attention as the main character was about to learn her fate. I couldn't turn away.

That was until I heard the scoff from beside me and the shuffling of Xavier moving to get off the bed. My eyebrows met in the middle of my forehead as I watched him, not wanting him to leave me.

"I guess I'll just go and leave you with your true soulmate. Maybe I can find some barbecue chips in the cupboard I could marry." Though I thought he was upset I could hear the playful tone in his voice, allowing me to relax some. Knowing he was leaving I quickly grasped his left hand in mine just as he began to get up from the mattress, pulling him back into a sitting position.

He turned to look at me with a small smirk while my creased brows and forming frown remained. "Where are you going?"

Turning his body so he could face mine, he held my hand tighter as I blushed at my previous actions. Covering my tiny hand in his two giant ones he began to mess around with mine, his thumb grazing across my wrist sending shivers through me.

"Well I asked if you wanted a new mate and for me to go find a replacement one and you nodded your head yes. So I was going to go do that."

My eyes widened at his words as I realized I had agreed to such a thing. I lowered my head to my lap as my frown deepened. I know I was the one to agree to it but would he really just go and replace me without a thought? Lightly shaking my head I allowed my hair to fall into my face in order to provide me protection in a way.

The thought of him leaving me in a snap scared me half to death. Though I haven't fully adapted to having him in my life I knew without a doubt I couldn't live without him. If he left me it would be the straw that broke the camels back.

I attempted to pry my hand from his grasp but he simply held tighter and pulled it closer to him as he realized something was wrong. "Hey Sunshine, what was it I said? You know I was just messing around with you, right?"

Taking that into consideration lightened my heavy heart a tad bit but the possibility was now ingrained in my mind. If I didn't ask this now it would follow me for the rest of our lives, the fear of him leaving me for another. "Would you really be able to replace me without a second thought like that?" My voice was low, the worry seeping through.

"Oh my god, Anna no. There would be no one else that would be capable of being my mate and I would never want anyone other than you. Please, believe me when I say that." The pleading desperation was evident in his voice as he quickly pulled me to sit on his lap, hugging me close to his chest. Xavier wrapped his arms around me and squished me to his chiseled front before resting his chin atop my hair.