Chapter 7: Conjecture

A SCREAM ECHOED THROUGH THE cool night air, but it had been neither of them.

Amber stayed completely quiet as they fell, apart from her initial gasp when he'd pushed off. Daniel, in contrast, laughed and whooped as he free-fell, holding tightly onto Amber's waist. "I've been practicing this too!" he yelled to her over the sound of rushing winds. The water rose up to catch them before dropping them off behind the railings surrounding the pool, completely dry.

"Daniel!" A fireball whizzed through the air out of the blue. Amber merely side-stepped nimbly  out of the way, while Daniel ducked and let it extinguish in the pool behind them.

Another fire lit up somewhere ahead, coming closer to reveal a seething Calida with her hand wreathed in flames. "Don't do that, idiot! The med bay's already full without your stupid stunts. And taking a newbie along with you? That's even—" Amber waved at her and she cut herself off, her voice suddenly made of spun sugar, "Actually, on a second thought, it would've been fine." She flashed an overly sweet smile at the other girl. Amber gave her no reaction.

Daniel shoved his hands in his pockets, glancing between Amber and her. "Ah, Calida. What a surprise. Why have you come searching for me? Did Robert dump you?" he asked and  leaned towards Amber, stage-whispering, "Like I said before, she could be pregnant. Either that or she's just violent by nature. Or PMSing constantly—"

Marching towards him, Calida jabbed him in the stomach, then grabbed both of them by their collars and dragged them closer, saying between evidently gritted teeth,  "The Daron twins want to see you. Both of you." She cast another glare in Amber's direction and let them go before stalking off, seemingly oblivious to Daniel's exaggerated moans of pain.

Between faked groans, he whispered to Amber, "I'm leaning towards the first option."

She nodded, feeling her lips twitch when a frustrated Calida tossed her hair and shouted at them, "Are you two coming or not? Kurt said it was urgent!"

"Kurt? Urgent, huh..." Daniel mumbled before grabbing Amber's wrist. "Come on, we have to hurry."

They walked fast, going round the building with the word Funhouse on its wooden sign and re-entering the stairwell. Amber looked back out at the amusement park one last time, taking in the rides and stands that would come to life and glow with colour in the morning. Then the door swung shut and Daniel said, "I'm sorry. One day I'll show you how I got into Camp last night - the roller coaster and the slide." Amber inclined her head and walked downwards following Calida.

Daniel looked pensive, worried. He had told her that he was angry and afraid, that he wanted revenge. Perhaps she, too, wanted revenge. To kill the Demon that had murdered Emily. Not for Emily's sake - no, but for herself.

Calida left them when they passed the training grounds and Amber and Daniel went on to the office. The door swung open as they approached, revealing Kurt seated at the desk and Christopher pacing back and forth. "Sorry, but please don't go outside when it's so late," Kurt said, "I would've contacted you from here, but..."

"Your magic?" Daniel questioned as Amber took a seat at his side. "But you said it would be gradual."

Christopher nodded, expression tight, and answered in place of his twin, "It has been, for months now, and yet it's speeding up. We are getting weaker." Daniel's hands curled into fists at his sides, but Christopher gave both of them a slight smile. "But that is not what we called you here to talk about. Normally we would've waited till tomorrow, but this is urgent.