Chapter 19: How it Made you Feel

"NO GOOD MORNING? OR A 'hello'? Don't be so rude in the mornings, dear," Leone chided her. 

Amber looked at her, biting back another 'rude' retort. Remember the threat from yesterday. This is the only chance you'll ever have, probably. Don't blow it. "Okay," she said. "Good morning, Leone and..."

Leone smiled, nodding in approval, and brought forward another Human Delegate - a woman wearing a pencil skirt and blue colored blouse. "This is Janna. She's a Mind Adept and she'll be working with us in the coming sessions when you train with Metal. She’s also a trained medic, so you won’t have to worry about getting hurt. What she's going to be doing is monitoring your brain activity in case anything goes wrong when we train." More like if anything goes wrong and you can't control me. For all you know, I might go on a rampage and try to kill you. It seemed that both mother and son had a thing with sugarcoating. But it didn't matter. As long as this worked. As long as they got that thing out of her. 

"So... What do you want to observe?" she asked. 

"Relax, you won't have to do anything yet," Janna answered. Her voice was high and melodic, like the tinkling of bells. "Just help us answer a few questions, and then we'll do an examination to make sure you're fit and healthy, followed by testing out what makes you change into a Demon."

"Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, we'll be documenting the entire process with this." Leone pointed to a video camera that had already been set up in a corner of the room. 

"Why?" she asked. 

"Well, this is a rare chance to find out more about the monsters we face almost every day as Adepts. For the sake of the lives of other Adepts, we do research, and we decided that we would take advantage of the opportunity you have given us. The information we will get from you can save lives," Leone explained. And yet, she'd threatened her before, saying that the Delegates might not help her. It didn't add up. She was saying something completely different now. But, for the sake of Daniel's kouhais, who she doesn’t know and doesn’t care about. 

"Fine," she said. "You can ‘document’ me all you want." Leone smiled at her, perhaps in thanks, then nodded at Janna, who pressed a button on the camera and the red light blinked on. 

"For starters, please look towards the camera and state your name, age and date of birth." At Leone's words, Janna angled the camera to point at her face.

"My name is Amber Starling, 17 years old. Born on 22nd February, 1997."

"Now, do you have a Demon inside of you?" Leone asked. 

"Yes."

"Do you know how a Demon got inside you in the first place?" Leone asked. 

"I don't know." She would answer all the questions honestly. "Kurt said that I was probably born with it already inside of me."