Chapter 14: Walking on eggshells

DAX FROWNED. “DEMONS ARE DANGEROUS and savage monsters, we all agree on that, but being an Emblem simply means to amass so much power and be so skilled at using it that you influence the distribution of magic in the world. As you grow in power, so will the people around you. So, having a Demon in you just means that you have more magic, so it helps you as an Emblem.”

“I see,” Amber said, resting her chin upon her fist, “but I have no interest in staying here to be tutored or becoming an Emblem.” The Delegates stiffened visibly. “However,” she continued, “if I stay, in return can you get the Demon out of me?”

Daniel blinked, but restrained himself. He didn’t know which one surprised him more. She wanted to get rid of her Demon? Once it was gone, she wouldn't have to worry about being dangerous anymore, but they still hadn't found out the reason why she had a Demon inside of her. And she doesn’t want to stay? Daniel didn’t get it. Who would pass up a chance to be tutored by the Delegates? He could almost sigh.

The murmurs started again, spreading all over the table. The three leaders put their heads together and whispered. Sol's fabric rippled in an untouchable breeze. He looked up, cloth rearranging to somehow manage a thoughtful look. "We agree that it will be possible, but further examination will be needed." Amber nodded and sat back.

Calida cleared her throat. "So when will we go back to Camp to get our stuff?"

"Sorry," Dax said. "You can't leave the Athenaeum while we train you. If word gets out that you're the Emblems, you might get hurt, either by Demons or those fanatics that want to sacrifice you."

"Of course," Leone picked up smoothly, "we will provide clothes and other necessities here, as you are our guests." The other Delegates nodded. "Now," she rose to her feet and clapped her hands, "your respective tutors will be taking you. We're giving you time to adjust, so please use it fully."

The others left the room in groups of twos and threes after Leone's dismissal. Calida, Amber and Nicholas were whisked away and soon he didn't know anyone in the room. 

Leone smiled at him, another Human Delegate at her side. She seemed to be searching for something in his appearance. He pushed his glasses back up his nose. "Um, I'm Daniel Hunter, telepath. Really, really excited about being tutored by you and I hope—"

"You were taught by Kurt, yes?" At his nod, she continued, walking over to him, "Do you know how the legend of the Emblems has passed through the generations?"

"Umm...?" He shifted in his chair. 

"In the East, they are known as the Four Mystical Creatures. In the West they are called the Four Horsemen. Each of the four are fabled to control two elements and in various religions they represent values, directions, seasons and the like." The four creatures... He'd heard about them somewhere, maybe from his dad. They were a Japanese myth that came from the Chinese and influenced the Koreans too. "You're following?" Leone asked. 

He nodded. "So... I'm the one in charge of Mind and Water?"