Chapter 27: Burden

Chapter 27: Burden

TRAINING WAS EASY WHEN HE had something on his mind. All he had to do was take that energy – worry, sadness, angst, anger, it didn't really matter – and channel it into working as hard as he could, into aiming for and past his limits, into pushing for the title of Emblem. 

Leone patted his shoulder, and at that signal he released the mind link with Janna. He brought the tendrils of his own consciousness back into his own body, taking a few moments to breathe deeply and readjust his power to its confinements. "How did I do?" he asked, opening his eyes. 

Janna, too, looked slightly bleary, blinking rapidly and rubbing at her eyes. But she still gave him a thumbs up, grinning. "That was brilliant, Daniel!"

The pale haired woman next to him nodded. "I take it he completely locked away the virus?"

"Yes, and his control was immaculate," Janna complimented him. "It was beautiful. The simulation mind I created was totally clean when he was done. Not even trace of any other influence."

Leone smiled. "Great job. You're done for today."

"What? Why?" he asked. "It's way too early. We can do a little bit more. Maybe squeeze in another round?"

The other Delegate shook her head. "You shouldn't work yourself too hard. Take a break, rest a little. You have a spar with Calida at one o'clock."

"You really like training, don't you?" Janna asked him. He gave her a smile and a shurg and she continued, "Well, my job here is done for today. See you tomorrow." She stepped out of the room and in the window he saw her head towards the cafeteria. 

He turned back and Leone was studying him. "Janna told me before we started that she sensed a lot of turmoil from you. You look pale, like you didn't get much sleep last night. What's wrong?"

Trust Leone and Janna to pick it up. But now what? He chuckled and pushed his glasses up. "You noticed? I thought I was hiding it well enough. Yeah, I've been worrying a bit lately. Slept late last night. It's because... Well, honestly, I'm nervous. The weaker you guys get, the stronger I get, the more I see that gap that's growing everyday... I guess it makes me even more conscious of the responsibility we have as Emblems. It's just hits me, you know? All the people depending on us, on me?"

"I understand. It's a heavy burden to bear." Leone gave him a comforting smile and another pat on his back. "I'm sorry for making you do this when you're so young, but we have to." 

Daniel nodded in response. "I'll... I'll go now." He gave her a halfhearted two fingered wave before disappearing out the door, making sure to keep his head down and that slumped posture as he walked by the window. Amber had left, not listening to anything he'd said against it. He didn't support what she was doing, but he'd help her out a little, though he didn't really have a reason. 

Taking Leone's advice to heart, he ate at the cafeteria, went to the library and read the books that he plucked off the shelves at random till it was almost time. Then he stood up, did some stretches to get himself limber and ready and set off at a light jog towards the giant room they called the arena.