Chapter 18: Teenage Angst

DANIEL STOOD, RAISED HIS HANDS and the water that had come with their dinner trays came streaming up at his command, splashing into their faces. "Oh god it's so cold!" Nicholas sputtered. 

But Calida's fire kept going. "A little water won't stop my—hey!" she snarled as her flames died all of a sudden. The three of them turned to find Amber's hands curved to form a hollow ball. 

She released the position, shaking out her hands, and told him, "No oxygen, no fire." He grinned at her, catching the twitch of her lips. 

The clatter of cutlery resumed as the people in the cafeteria settled back down. Nicholas and Calida sat as well, both disgruntled, the latter more so than the former. Daniel turned, feeling eyes on him, and found Leone smiling. She lifted a glass of water towards him, mouthing good job as she toasted to him. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An elbow nudged her in the side and she glanced up. Daniel held out his hand, palm open and facing her as he grinned. Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, she raised her own hand and high-fived him. 

After that there was silence except for the clink of knives and forks and spoons. That is, until a particularly loud clatter as Nicholas put down his cutlery. He leant forward, looking at her from Daniel's other side. "Like Daniel said before, both of us have powers that haven't been seen before. I've shown mine, so would you show us yours?"

"I can't." She shook her head. 

She hoped that the boy wouldn't keep pressing the matter, but he frowned in thought with his chin on his fist before asking, "Is it about what happened with your tutors?"

Calida raised her head. "Oh, I heard about that too."

"From who?" Daniel asked. 

"My tutors had to go away in the middle of the session. They came back and told me about it," Calida explained. Nicholas nodded. "You would've heard about it too if you hadn't run off in the middle of your session." 

At her side, Daniel stiffened. "You know about that too?"

"Of course," Calida smirked before something gentler entered her voice, "but that one wasn't your fault. We all know about your magic." Then she leveled her gaze at her. "But you; I don't trust you."

"Is it true that if you're attacked, you'll turn into a Demon?" Nicholas interjected. "Apparently that Beast Delegate was scared to death because of you."

"He was," she answered. Her features felt like they had been set in stone. You're damn scary, you know that? The words echoed in her mind. Daniel glanced at her. He picked up on my thoughts again, the idiot. 

When he spoke there was a suspicious smile playing on his lips, despite his words. "Guys, back off, okay? Amber's just messed up right now. Don't try and make it worse."