#sixteenth: past

My heart was full.

When I woke up, I could still feel Gray's arms curled around my waist. I didn't open my eyes immediately, snuggling into him. He stirred, pulling me in closer and kissing my shoulder as he spoke.

"Goodmorning, love."

His voice was low. Hoarse from being unused for so long. Deliciously sexy. A surge of pleasure travelled through my body.

"Morning," I whispered back, finding his hands and intertwining his warm fingers with mine. We lay quietly for a while. I gazed at the drab walls, at the door that led to the balcony. A blush crept up my cheeks when I remembered what had happened last night. I could hear his gentle breathing, his heart beating close to me. Neither of us made any attempt to leave.

Gray's phone rang, disrupting the silence. He groaned and my heart lamented as his warmth slipped away. He reached for his phone on the bedside table and spoke into it.

"Grayson Shelby,"

He was quiet for a long time. I gazed at his face, wondering who it could be. Gray had taken an off on Sunday in order to spend it with me, even though it had meant extra hours on other days. Caroline Luka was surprisingly kinder than I had thought that she was.

I gazed at him, smiling softly to myself. My eyes travelled down his taut muscles. His back. Down to the bedsheet under which I knew he was naked. Each morning waking up next to him was a blessing.

His expression turned serious as I felt worry forming in my chest. He tried hard to keep an impassive face before he spoke again. "Alright, yes. Thank you for informing me. Please, text it to my phone. Yeah, this one itself. Alright. Thank you."

He hung up the phone, his brows slightly furrowed. I gazed at him curiously. "Who was it?"

He shook his head, giving me an assuring smile even though it didn't reach his eyes. "Nothing to worry about, love," he leaned forward and planted a kiss on the top of my head. "Coffee?"

I gazed at him as he got to his feet and started dressing. The sight of his naked body made me forget about the mysterious phone call for a while.

"I'll make you some breakfast, alright?"

He gave me a soft smile and left the bedroom. I stared after he was long gone, a strange uneasiness in my stomach.

After a quarter of an hour, we sat at the dining table in the kitchen. I gazed around at the barely qualifying room. It had a few shelves and a stove. It only had the basic necessities of any kitchen. It still looked like he was reluctant to settle in even though he would have to stay here for atleast a couple of years.

I took another bite of the scrambled egg and gazed at Gray worriedly. "Gray, what's wrong? Ever since that phone call, you've been really quiet."

He shook his head, gently touching my face. "I'll tell you, Xaby. Let's just eat first, alright?"

I nodded as we finished breakfast. I sat quietly as he washed the dishes and finally took a chair on the table and sat across me. His eyes swum with concern. His expression made my stomach knot even more uncomfortably. "Gray...you're scaring me."

He bit his lip, clasping my hand in his as he spoke slowly. "I got a phone call from my previous precinct," he took a deep breath. "Someone...inquired about you and would like to meet you."

I blinked, unable to see where he was going with this. "Who?"

"Michael Easton."

All the air rushed out of my lungs. His hands gripped my suddenly numb ones tightly. "It's okay. You don't have to-"