twenty-fifth: double threat

Fear.

Utter, naked panic paralyzed my senses.

I remained unmoving. My heart stopping, lungs ceasing. I watched in horror as the tip of the boots turned towards me and started walking ahead. I shuddered. I was scared I would pass out from the panic. I was terrified of moving to try and get to the gun, afraid that he would sense my movement. 

The steps stopped suddenly as the night air was pierced with loud music. I held my breath as a car whizzed past at heavy speed, loud music blaring from it. The music got louder and louder, making the very earth vibrate.

The car seemed to stop right on the road where the goons had parked theirs. I heard the man curse softly as his feet turned and he walked away. I stared at the receding feet, my body in a state of shut down. I wasn't sure if whoever had arrived was a friend or a foe. I decided to wait for confirmation before breathing.

 I remained in my stance, unmoving. The maniacally loud sound of the blaring music would drown out any footsteps and I had no way of knowing how many people were there.

After a while, I saw a pair of vaguely familiar shoes rushing towards me through the thicket of the trees. My heart leapt when the familiar face of Caleb appeared in my hazy vision. I realized he had been the blind contact and was thankful that he had had the brains to track me.

"Shit, Xav," I almost sobbed in relief when he crouched in front of me and started untying my hands. The moment they were lose enough, I slid my arms out, my wrists sore. I rubbed them together, wincing in pain. I grimaced in agony as he moved to my feet and removed the bonds tying them together. He gazed at me, his eyes wide. "I tracked you. What...what the fuck happened?"

I didn't speak. I couldn't speak. In all honestly, I was still a little wary of him after that day's incident. However, I wasn't going to bring it up now when he had saved my life.

"You're bleeding," he observed, his eyes studying me. He gently held my arm and pulled me to my feet. "Come on. Let's get you patched up."

He half dragged me along the soil and put me in the passenger seat, securing the seatbelt around me. He got into the car and muted the music as we started moving. I rested my head against the window, shivering from the aftershocks.

My nostrils inhaled the nauseous, rusty smell of my own blood. I shut my eyes and shuddered. I didn't know why, but in my lowest times, when I just wanted to hide under the earth, I had always wanted Gray. I wanted him close to me. His comforting arms around me. Somehow, he always made me better. Somehow, he always kept me safe.

We parked in the familiar parking lot of the Northern Heart Hospital and he supported my body weight on his shoulder as we slowly started making our way inside. My vision was fading in and out of black, almost ready to embrace oblivion. I was in half stupor when I finally lay down on an uncomfortable bed, letting myself fall into the blessed numbness.

                                                                                 *

I wasn't aware of time after that.

I opened my eyes to the white, unfamiliar ceiling of the hospital in what I expected was the general ward. My eyelids seemed heavy, my head throbbing and my body sore. I almost flinched when a nurse called way too loudly. "Ah! You're awake!"

I remained quiet as the motherly nurse went over my vitals. I was glad to see that despite my condition, I remained in my original clothes. I needed to get out of there as soon as possible. In all honestly, I didn't know what to do. Reznick was still after me, but I didn't have any conclusive proof. Nor did I have any support.