Chapter Eight

Clarence and Janet were arguing about something I couldn't understand.

"It's not a bad idea!" Janet took a step towards Clarence, causing him to stumble backwards slightly.

"It's a very bad idea because she is your best friend and she lives on your couch."

"That's not fair! The couch thing is just temporary. Plus, she totally owns fancy clothes and knows how to act in public. She's going to be a lawyer!"

I felt the need to defend my character, and tried to cut in, but Clarence was speaking so loudly no one could hear me. "And you think this is what my father wants?"

"I know it's what he wants." She poked her index finger into the center of his chest. "Because he told me so himself and I've been interviewing models and actresses and literature majors all month at your request. No matter how many I interview, I never find any that meet your standards."

He shrugged. "I have high standards."

She let out one barking laugh. "You think that if I don't find anyone, you'll be off the hook. And you're wrong." She looked at me and then back to him. "But you can't argue with me about my own best friend, can you?"

I've had enough of these two talking about me like I'm not even here.

"Okay, can I have a word with you guys?" I stood up and closed the gap between us. "I'm right here, so can someone fill Janet's best friend in on what exactly you two are fighting about?"

Janet's mouth dropped open and she turned to Clarence while blabbering a bunch of incoherent baby-talk.

"Oh no." He raised his hands. "I'm not touching that one. You explain it to her. Then, if she doesn't tell you that you're crazy, you can come talk to me." Faster than he could have repeated that sentence, he raced up the stairs and disappeared into Janet's office.

I turned back to Janet, who looked white as a sheet. "Why don't you sit down and I'll get you some water?" I gently helped her sit on the couch and got a glass of water from the kitchen.

I gave her a minute to drink the water. "So, what is it Clarence thinks is a terrible idea?"

"I'm not sure you'll like it." She tried to take a sip of water out of a glass I was pretty sure was empty.

I didn't say anything as I watched the wheels turning in Janet's head. That was never a good sign with her.

"I have an idea," she finally spoke to me. "And I'm not sure you'll like it."

"Yes, you mentioned that." I shook my head. "The question was what your idea was."

"Well, what would you say if I told you I could get you an internship that would look awesome on your resume but was actually just hanging around and babysitting my cousin all summer?"

"I can't imagine babysitting would pay me enough, Janet." I pulled my brows together, wondering what she could be getting at.

"Oh, not really babysitting." She pointed up the stairs. "It's for him."

"You want me to help you babysit Clarence all summer?" I double-checked that I understood.

She nodded. "Yes. You see, I'm having a bit of trouble with him and it's really starting to make people question my ability to do my job, so you'd actually be doing me a huge favour."

"What kind of trouble?" I cut in before she could get further off track.

"It's, well. It's. . ." She sighed. "Genevieve, you know I love you more than life? You're my best friend."

I studied her face. "Where is this going?"

Janet stood up and paced the living room. "Just promise you won't hate me, okay? I have a confession."

"Is this you trying to distract me from the trouble Clarence is in?" I asked, "Because it won't work."

"Uh, no. I promise it's not that, just-" She held her hand up and disappeared upstairs.

"Janet!" She didn't respond, so I got up to chase after her. What on earth is going on with that girl? I didn't even make it to the bottom of the stairs when I saw her coming back down the stairs carrying a very large book.

"Oh gosh, Genevieve!" she sighed, "I was gone for like a second. Sit down, will you?" She followed me to the couch and settled in beside me. "You know where I'm from, right?"

"Yes, Janet. You're from Montalivet. What is this, some kind of friendship test?"

She shook her head and ran her hand over the worn cover of the book. "And I assume you don't know much about it?"

I could feel my face growing warm. If this was a friendship test, I would fail. "No," I admitted, "you never really wanted to talk about it."

"But you are aware that my cousin is pretty famous there?" She waited for my answer, twisting her fingers together and bouncing her knee.

"Yes, Janet, this is all stuff we've talked about before. What is all of this about?"

"Here," she said, handing me the large hardback book she'd been nursing since she came down the stairs.

"Thank you." I took the book and put it on my lap, waiting for her to say more. When she didn't, I looked down at the cover of the book in my lap. Underneath the title, MONTALIVET: The Royal Family, there was a picture of an attractive young couple on what looked like their wedding day. Trying to ease the tension, I tapped the cover and asked Janet, "Who's this guy?" while wiggling my eyebrows suggestively.

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. "That would be my uncle." She opened one eye to look at me. "And my aunt."

It took a moment for her words to sink in.

"And they're on the cover of this book about the royal family because?" It's so obvious, I don't know why I'm asking her.

"Because they are the current king and queen of Montalivet." She drew a shaky breath and pressed her hands into her thighs. "And Clarence-"

"Is a prince." My words came out barely above a whisper.

Janet nodded and waited expectantly for me to say more.

I struggled to wrap my head around Clarence - Janet's cousin, Clarence - being a prince. There were so many questions swirling around in my brain it was hard to choose just one.

"So, you're a princess, then?" I looked at Janet. "Why didn't you just tell me?"

She laughed so hard tears started pooling in the corner of her eyes. Great, she's finally snapped.

"Janet?"

"I tell you my uncle rules a country and that's what you're worried about?" She wiped the tears out of her eyes, speaking between fits of laughter. "I'm not a princess. The queen is my father's older sister. I don't have a title except personal assistant to the prince and maybe 'Annoying Cousin.'"

"Wow." I didn't really know what to say to that. "So, wait. What does this have to do with babysitting your cousin? You want me to babysit the prince of a whole country?"

Janet opened her mouth to speak several times before she actually did. "I'd like you to do something a little more specific, actually."

My eyes narrowed. "I'd be doing a little more what, specifically?" 

 "I'd be doing a little more what, specifically?"