Oh, I Didn't Tell You? I Know What Colour Underwear You're Wearing.

*3rd Person POV*

-

Mia woke with a gasp, bolting upright in her bed. Terror rushed through her and sweat dripped down her forehead. It took her all of five seconds to realise she was in her room, safe. She let out a sigh and ran her hand down her face.

She kicked her covers back, the cold morning air welcome to her clammy skin. She reached for her phone and discovered that it was only six in the morning. Plenty of time to sleep. But that wasn't going to happen. This had been the third nightmare in a row that Mia'd had. They all consisted of the same thing; being tied to the chair, having the same dreaded knife slice through her skin whilst Connor grinned sadistically. It always ended the same, having Connor drive the knife right into her heart.

If some one had asked Mia if she feared death about six months ago, the answer would be no. She didn't fear death. Well, at least she never used to. But that all changed over time. She felt human now... more so than ever. She felt petty emotions, like fear, jealously, love... but she didn't hate it. That's what disturbed her. 

Mia used to be all for the whole no humanity thing... She'd tried countless times to con Marni into shutting it off... But to no avail. She was the most stubborn person Mia had had the pleasure of meeting. But now, Mia almost welcomed the emotions. It felt natural, now that she was human. 

Part of Mia was tempted to turn around and go on a homicidal rampage, but she knew she never would. She didn't have it in her, and besides. She'd come to care for the people around her. Even called them friends. She never would've imagined that. It wasn't so bad though. She enjoyed having friends, people to talk to. In fact, she even enjoyed being human, to some extent.

But it made her weak. That's what she hated about it. She'd been tossed around like a ragdoll, by another human. Stefan had been right. She wasn't fine. She was traumatized. But Mia wouldn't let it show. She didn't want to appear more weak than she already was. She just hoped Connor got what was coming to him. Klaus would make sure of that.

Deciding sleep would not be an option, Mia rose from her bed, stretched her body. She groaned and recoiled, still not having fully recovered from the beating her body took a few days ago. She looked completely healed, but she was pretty sure she'd pulled every muscle in her body. Well, that was how she felt, anyway.

As Mia walked down the stairs, she felt slightly cold, probably because her pajamas consisted of short cotton pants and a tank top. Her hair was up in a messy top bun and she thanked God that she'd taken her makeup off last night. There was nothing worse than having your eyelashes glued together with mascara.

Not acknowledging anything around her, Mia slowly made her way to the fridge, exhaustion taking it's toll on her. Her eyes drooped and she had to focus for a second to make sure she was opening the fridge and not the oven. She blindly reached for the orange juice and closed the fridge. 

She pulled a glass from the cupboard and set it on the counter. Just as she was about to pour the orange juice, a voice spoke.

"Can't sleep?"

Mia let out a yelp and knocked the glass sideways, causing it to fall off the counter. Before it smashed, a hand shot out and grabbed it. Damon smirked and set the glass back down, obviously taking amusement in Mia's reaction.

"Sweet mother of Jesus!" Mia gasped, trying to stop her heart exploding out of her chest. "You have got to stop doing that!"

Damon laughed under his breath. "But it's funny."

Mia took a moment and gave him a flat look. "I am pretty sure that my heart has swapped places with my liver. So, thanks for that."

Damon examined her, his eyebrows pinched slightly. "You look like hell."