Chapter 7

Aria

"Princess Aria, can we pretty please eat cake during Lunch Period today?"

I glanced down to see tiny fingers curled expectantly over the edge of my desk, a puff of curly hair, and big, brown eyes that could barely see over the top, staring at me with a pleading gaze. I giggled to myself as Suri strained onto her tiptoes, trying her best to maintain eye contact despite her tiny stature.

"Oh, sweetie..." I cooed, unable to wipe the smile off of my face at her adorable actions. I set my pen down and stood from my seated position behind the desk, where I was busy putting smiley faces on the absolutely precious drawings that the class made in Instructional today.

The Early Childhood Instructional Unit that I was assigned to was for the age fours of our Society, an age that I absolutelyloved. Children in general are undeniably gentle and sweet, with an enthusiastic outlook on life that I can't help but gravitate toward. And specifically in regards to my darling little age fours, their personalities were just beginning to form, which was an aspect of development that I felt so, so honored that The Elders trusted me to be a part of.

If I'm being really honest, I cried at the Soul Mate Ceremony.

And no, not just because I met my Soulmate who happened to be the hottest guy ever, but also due to my joy regarding The Elders' decision to place me in my dream Work Unit!

But then again, The Elders always know exactly what is best for everyone in our beautiful Society.

Crouching down to Suri's height, I gently reached out to tap her nose before I reached out to take her soft hands in mine, soothingly rubbing the top of them with my thumb.

"Now Miss Suri, we know that all of your nutritious Lunch Period meals are chosen for you every day until you turn into a biiig adult at age eighteen." I reminded her with a soft smile, turning my head toward the rest of my Instructional students who were sitting on the large rug in the middle of the room during their Free Play Period. "Right, Instructional?"

A disorganized chorus of "Yes, Princess Aria" sounded from all twenty of my children as they paused what they were doing to see what was happening at the front of the room. I half-turned my upper body toward them as I held steady to Suri's hands.

"Good job my lovely beans!" I praised, my heart filling at the sight of all of their chubby little cheeks pointed my way, eyes sparkling with excitement. "And who made that very smart rule to make sure that everyone in our Society grows up really big and strong?"

"Our all-seeing Elders!" My Instructional chanted back, knowing the phrase like the back of their hands as everyone in our Society does.

"But- but- but-... my mommy told me that when Princesses used to be real, that that they could do whateeeever they wanted!" Suri replied, her lip wobbling as she strained to contain the big emotions that threatened to burst out of her. "And so since you're a princess, then you can tell The Elders to give us cake!" She wailed, plopping down on the floor and crossing her arms and legs, little bottom lip jutting out as if someone just stole her favorite toy.

"Oh, sweetie..." I tutted, sitting next to her and slipping my hands underneath her arms to gently slide her into my lap.

On the first day of Instructional, my adorable Instructional students could not exactly grasp the idea that I was not - in fact - a woman. The little ones had never seen a male with long hair before, as I was the first exception to the rule that The Elders had ever made in regards to our mandated hairstyles. And my little Suri was so fascinated with the fact that I apparently shared a likeness of a brunette princess in one of her storybooks, that she began calling me 'Princess Aria,' a nickname which quickly caught on with the rest of the class.