2.8

Michael honestly would have forgotten about his birthday if Melissa hadn't come over two days before and reminded him. So, since Melissa had kindly put the idea in Michael's head that she was going to give him a fantastic birthday present, he hadn't stopped thinking about it.

But that Tuesday started out as beyond average for Michael. He woke up and did his normal routine of getting Parker ready for school, which was difficult, as always. Parker didn't say happy birthday to Michael, of course, because he really didn't know that it was his dad's birthday. Michael didn't mind that.

What he did mind, however, was that not one of his friends or family had texted or called to say happy birthday. It was like everyone else had forgotten about him too.

Michael tried not to let it bother him. It was just his 24th birthday, nothing special. There was so need for everyone to celebrate Michael making it through another year of his life. Even though he would have appreciated a card or at least some kind of acknowledgement that he was one year older, he was fine. There were other things besides Michael's birthday that his friends had to worry about.

He was late dropping Parker off at school that morning, and that meant that Michael was also late getting to work, and that meant that Matt was upset with him. Matt gave Michael the task of sweeping the floor and unpacking more boxes and putting them on shelves, and Michael didn't even try to use the excuse of "but it's my birthday" because he knew that out of all people, Matt would probably care less.

"You missed a spot." Matt said loudly, walking up behind Michael. He pointed off to a corner that Michael hadn't even begun to sweep in, so of course it was still dirty.

"Okay." Michael nodded. He really didn't want to start any arguments with Matt, not today.

"I'm going to bring out some more boxes from the back, you should unpack them when you're done sweeping." Matt said, walking backwards towards the back of the store. "Then you can sweep again."

"Why do I need to sweep twice?" Michael asked. He was beginning to get more upset now, but he tried not to show it.

Matt always did things like this. He gave Michael unnecessary chores to do that just wasted time. Michael wasn't sure if it was because Matt didn't think he was carpable of more or what, but at this point it was really starting to annoy him.

"Because I said you should."

"Okay." Michael nodded again. He decided not to question Matt any more, in fear that he'd only make things worse for Michael if he did.

One day he would get Matt back for all of this, just not right now. Maybe.

Finally, after almost four hours of sweeping and unpacking boxes and helping customers and more sweeping, Michael got to actually sit down and breathe for a few minutes.

"Why aren't you sweeping?" Matt emerged from his god damn back room again, coming out and inspecting the work that Michael had done.

"There's nothing left to sweep." Michael shrugged.

"I'm sure you could go over there and find - "

"No." Michael snapped, finally losing it. He'd tried so hard to just stay calm about this and do what Matt asked, but he couldn't anymore. "I'm done sweeping, I've swept this place top to bottom at least 10 times for you."

"Then you can - "

"What? Unpack some boxes? How many damn boxes do you have back there?" Michael groaned. He was so tired of doing the same boring tasks and being bossed around by Matt every day. "No one even comes in here, there's no reason for me to constantly restock the shelves when nothing gets bought!"