chapter 24

William

When I wake up, the first thing I notice is Amelia lying on the bed naked , her arms still behind her back cuffed and the belt tightly wound around her mouth.

I remove the belt and then uncuff her letting her arms dangle off the bed. She is half off the bed and I consider to position her properly but then I leave her in the awkward position anyway.

As I come out of the shower 20 minutes later and she is still in the same position sleeping. I shake her awake only for her to smack my hand. I look at her bewildered for a moment and then shake her harder. She cracks her eyes open without noticing me near the bed standing. I watch as she yawns ,stretches her arms and then rubs her sore hands. The corner of her mouth has a black bruise from the belt. She winces and gets up , when she notices me standing , she freezes.

" Go get a shower" I say

She nods and hurriedly goes in the shower. When she comes out , her face has swollen and I know she tried to put makeup on it to cover the bruises but it obviously did nothing.

" Wipe all that makeup off or it might get infected" I tell her and she does.

I let her dress up in peace and go downstairs to have breakfast. Mom is already at the table . I wonder what she will say when she sees Amelia's face. I had told Amelia to come have all the meals with us otherwise she would face a worse night than yesterday.

When Amelia limps towards us, mom's face goes pale and her eyes widen.

" Wh..what happened to your face?" She asks Amelia with a gasp.

Amelia looks at me and I say " she fell of the bed"

Mom doesn't  believe that at all. I don't have to explain anything to her . She is here as a guest and she should behave like one. Mom doesn't eat her breakfast and neither does Amelia. They both just move the food on the plate . After sometime mom gets up and leaves leaving the almost full plate on the table.

Amelia hasn't touched a single thing on the plate. There's egg and bacon and I know she loves eggs.

" Is your throat alright or does it still hurt?" I ask her

" It's alright " she says in a whisper.

She keeps moving the fork on the plate which makes a horrible irritating sound.

" Just fucking eat or get out of here" I snap

She quietly gets up , picks everything from the table and goes in the kitchen. I hear her washing the dishes. When I go to my room , mom is already waiting there.

" What is wrong with you William? Why are you turning into a monster? This is not you William , please stop before you kill that girl"

" And what when she killed Posie? Did she think twice about it? "

" That doesn't mean you have to do the same to her . Have you seen her ? She looks like a living corpse! And no expert needs to tell you this but she is dying ! You are killing her!"

" Enough mom ! Just leave okay , you have stayed here long enough now!"

" I'm going to leave in a few days and I will be taking Amelia with me!" She says and leaves.

I go to the terrace for a smoke when I see Amelia standing there. I must have left the terrace door open last night and I curse myself for this stupid mistake.

I stay and watch as she leans to look down. Her hands are tightly wound around the railing and she stands on her tiptoe to look further down.

" That's enough now Amelia! Go down and don't fucking come back here again"

She jumps as I say those words and whirls around facing me.

" I..I" she stutters and I tell her to get out. She quickly scurries away . I go back to where she was standing and lean down as well to see what she wanted to so eagerly see. I immediately spot a couple  with two twins with them. The twins must be a year or so old. The man holds the girl and pushes her in the air and catches as quickly making the girl burst out with giggles. The wife watches nervously and looks over at the other sleeping twin.

His wife says something and he kisses her on the mouth making the girl pout. They laugh and start giving her more kisses and when the other twin wakes up they do the same to him.

I watch them for a while . It tugs my heart to see them so happy while I've lost everything in my life. I want to know what she was thinking whilst watching them. Did she feel any remorse for drowning Posie?

I close my eyes and smoke.

"You will end up killing her"

I snap my eyes open. What will happen if she dies ,I think. But I don't know what I feel anymore. I don't know if I want to let her go. For one I know that if I let her go then I will be the one who suffers. And for this selfish reason I have kept her for this long. Because making her hurt makes my suffering less. When she cries and screams in agony , I know that she is hurting more than me and it brings me this morbid satisfaction that I cannot explain to anyone.