rumors.

GIVEN
噂 || Rumors

◦ ◦ ◦

◦ ◦ ◦

        What was supposed to be an innocent art class turned out to be something much, much different. Mafuyu had left Uenonyama on the steps where they would practice guitar together outside of his gym after he heard the first bell ring. The two were inseparable and whenever Uenonyama decided to be 'dead', Mafuyu was the only one who could awake him. And Yui wasn't the only person who began to notice this change.

The sun shone through the large windows casting a golden light on Uenonyama's pale skin as he lay down on the steps with only his thoughts to occupy him. He had worked hard on a song for the band during the whole week, he spent his time playing with his guitar rather than doing his school work.

The last time Uenonyama had ever been so obsessed with something was probably back when he first got his guitar from his dad and taught himself how to play. He spent every waking hour on thoughts of his guitar and how to help his new-found friend improve and quickly. He tried to disperse his thoughts and sat up quickly, he cleaned up the loose papers around him and headed to his art class.

As soon as he stepped a foot into the class he felt his previously happy mood fall as he made his way to his window seat. He wanted this class to end quickly so he could get to his band's practice. He had friends in his class, but it wasn't the same as hanging out with Akihiko, Haruki, Mafuyu, and even Yui, even if she was super annoying.

"Let's have you break into pairs," the black-haired teacher announces, snapping Uenonyama out of his thoughts quickly. "And draw a portrait of your partner in the allotted time."

The class immediately begins mumbling amongst each other and searching for partners so that they wouldn't be left out. Uenonyama on the other hand, he couldn't care less.

"Uenoyama..." A brown-haired girl named Ayano Kasai mumbles to the boy. "Let's pair up," she says with a smile. He didn't mind because the two had spoken before and ran with the same friend group. "Okay?"

"Uh... Sure," he replies slowly. His hands gripping his thick green notebook.

"Okay, I'm gonna sit here, then," she exclaims and turns a seat from the other desk around so that she can face Uenonyama.

They sit mostly in silence. The sound of a pencil dragging across paper is the only thing making sure Uenonyama doesn't fall asleep. A plane flies in the blue sky.

"Hey," she says softly, not making eye-contact with the boy in front of her. The boy hums a response. "I wonder if... Sato likes you," she mumbles.

"Huh?" The boy replies, wondering if he heard the question correctly. He hoped that the two were at least friends considering how they're in the same band. "Wait, what?" He asks again, but the girl just stares him down. "I mean... I don't think he hates me."

"Apparently..." The girl begins. "Sato was dating another boy from his middle school, Yui's brother I think," the whole time she's saying this a blank expression rests on her face.

"Huh?" Uenonyama says, not sure of what he should say. He sees nothing wrong with it, of course, he just didn't expect it. He didn't even know that Yui had a brother.

"And on top of that, the guy... suddenly killed himself last year. There are rumors that Sato was part of the reason he killed himself," she explains and the boy's heart stops. In fact, it seemed that time stopped. "Listen, Uenoyama... I think getting involved with Sato might be dangerous."

'The world started to move so quickly around me,' he thought to himself. 'But in that moment, it came to a screeching halt.'