Chapter 3

Its the morning of the ball. The past two days have been more hectic than usual. Maria sent me to go look for a dress the day after I got the invite. Then I went to a friend of Marias who is really good at hairstyles and make up so we could do a trial.

Its currently 4 in the afternoon and Steven and Maria sent me to the house early so I can start getting ready. They told me that Elizabeth – or Liz as she prefers – will be coming around at about 5:30 to do my hair and makeup. That gives me an hour and a half to shower and get myself ready for Liz.

Once I get back to the house I go straight to my room, take my shoes off and head to the shower. Set the water to the warmest it goes then start undressing and get into the shower. Once Im in I wash my hair, body face, I shave everywhere I need to and brush my teeth then get out. When out the shower I put my hair up in a towel then dry my body and put cream on. Once thats done, I go back to my room and dressed in sweatpants and a zip up jacket (with my underwear on underneath of course.

By the time Im done I hear a knock at the door. I quickly go over to answer it and see that its Liz and she looks more excited about the ball than I am.

Hey Lily, are you ready to get all glammed up for this ball she asks cheerily as she makes her way to my room.

I just laugh softly and follow her. Once I get to my room, she throws two medium sized bags onto my bed and tells me to get into the chair by my dressing table. When Im seated, she tells me that shes going to do my hair first then move onto my makeup.

I sit patiently as she does her work and she chats to me about all sorts of things including her experience at a royal ball. As I sit there, I start to feel more and more nervous about going. I feel like maybe this is a bad idea and that maybe I shouldnt go but I dont know how to get out of it either. The dress I have allows for me to hide some weapons so I can feel a little safer about going. Im starting to think I should have left months ago, like I had planned but something has drawn me here. And this is the calmest I have felt in years.

Through all my thoughts I hadnt even noticed that Liz had finished my hair or that Maria and Steven were now waiting in the living room for Liz to finish. After a little while Liz is finally finished and tells me to get my dress on and hurry to the living room because the royal driver will be here soon. I quickly get up, take of my sweats and take the dress out the bag and put it on.

Once I have the dress on, I take a moment to look in the mirror to analyse myself. I look in the mirror but the girl looking back at me looks so different; her hair is done up in a beautiful braid crown with some pieces framing her face, her skin looks glowing and healthy with beautiful accent around the eyes and subtle colouring on the lips. This dress is a ¾ sleeve, high neck, floor length A-line midnight blue dress with elegant lace details on the bodice and sleeves. But the silver necklace with the letter E is the only thing that remind me that the girl in the mirror really is me.

I specifically chose this dress because it covers most of my body and looks beautiful and elegant but doesnt stand out. And the beautiful hair style hides the scars on my neck while still being beautiful.

After a minute or so of looking at myself in the mirror I put on my simple strappy silver heels that arent too high that I can barely move, I quickly hide some weapons. A knife or two strapped to my legs alongside a gun and extra bullets. Once ready, I make my way to the living room. Once I make it there everyone in the room turns to look at me. I suddenly feel extra self-conscious and look towards the floor.

You look magnificent, Lily. I hear Steven say and I look up at all of them to seem just smiles.

Before I have the chance to say something theres a knock at the door. Steven goes to open the door and standing there is an older looking man, well werewolf, dressed in the royal guards uniform. Which is a deep red with gold accents and detailing. Also, each individual guard has different medals on their uniform for different achievements. The man in front of us has quite a few different medals on his pristine uniform. He has blonde hair cut short, and he is tall.

I am here to escort Miss Rose to the Royal Ball, is she ready? he inquires in a polite tone.

The other people in the room move out the way to give view of me. I give the guard a small polite smile and soft yes. I say my quick goodbyes, goodnights and thank you to the people in the house before I follow the blonde man to the car. There is a beautiful red car parked in front of the small house.

As we get closer, I get a closer look at the car and gasp wait is that the 2018 Jaguar XF 20d R-sport? I ask in excitement. I continue to ramble about the different specs of the car until I look back at the guard who seems to have a look of surprise and amusement. I whisper a soft sorry and stand back up, away from the car.

The guard just smiles and motions for me to get into the car Its alright Miss Rose, its uncommon for a lady like you to find interest in cars the guards says as he gets himself situated in the back of the car next to me then tells the driver we are ready to leave.

We sit in silence for a few moments before I start getting curious and start asking questions.

What is your name I ask

The guard looks at me for a moment before replying My name is Brandon; I am the head of security

When he says that I just look at him like he is crazy Why is the head of security retrieving a human from a town rather than at the ball managing security for the kings, surely you could have sent someone else?

Brandon just laughs Beta Axel sent me, he stated that it was important that I ensure you attend the ball. He had the idea that you were going to try and get out of it

I sigh and say under my breath Well he wasnt wrong but of course these annoying werewolves have heightened hearing and Brandon heard me.

You didnt want to attend the ball tonight? he asks

Uh, no, not really, I tend to avoid things like this, thats actually why Beta Axel invited me, because I have been here a while and have yet to attend a single royal event

Brandon just hmms and thinks for a second before asking me why?

I was really hoping he wouldnt ask me this but of course like every other creature on this planet they are always curious. I just didnt want to, anyways what is this event for? I try changing the subject.

Brandon seems to get the idea and backs off and replys its to acknowledge the success of the last trip the Alphas and warriors took, there will mostly just be warriors, royals, alphas, betas and mates at this event

Great. Just great. The place is going to be filled with people from higher up levels and me a miniscule human.

Changing the direction of the conversation again I ask, Where is the ball being held?

In the castles ballroom comes Brandons reply.

After that Brandon seems to get caught up in a conversation with someone in mind link and so I am left to my thoughts. A castle. We are actually going to a castle. Its going to be huge. What if something happens? How on earth will I find my way out?

After a little more time of me worrying myself in the back of the car we finally arrive at the castle gates. They are huge black and gold. When we get to the gate they open automatically, and we are driving down a beautiful driveway with enormous trimmed bushes on either side. After a minute or two we finally reach this beautiful open area with an amazing garden around the looping driveway that reaches the stairs up to castle entrance.

Well, here goes nothing.