Chapter 4

Brandon gets out of the car while I continue to stare at the magnificent structure in front of me. The door of the window I am staring out suddenly opens and Brandon is motioning for me to get out, which I do with a small thank you. We swiftly make our way up the stair to the doors of the castle. As we walk up, I start to get more and more nervous. There are so many things that can go wrong, and I dont know the area. What would happen if I get lost or if I do unknowingly do something wrong in front of the Alphas? I guess my safest bet is just to do what I do best, hide in plain sight. If I just stay quiet and out of the way the night will be over before I know it and then I can leave in about a week. I cant risk this any longer, Ive well overstayed my visit.

We finally reach the doors and there are two guards standing to the side. Theyre dressed in an all-black uniform and combat boots. They both stand tall and proud, ready to defend the people that rule over them. Thats always been something I admired. The strong sense of loyalty and respect the people of this werewolf kingdom give to their leaders without question. I have always second guessed the decisions of others and thought about all possible consequences. I always believe they have ulterior motives.

The guards quickly open the doors and Brandon leads me through the castle. As we walk, I take note of the amazing structure of the place and the detail in everything. I look at something as simple as a stand for a vase, but it is anything but simple. The amount of intricate detail in every part of the stand – it stands out and blends in at the same time. We finally reach the ballroom doors and I have been able to remember my own way back out of need be.

Brandon stops and looks at me Ill go in first and speak to the beta then you can head on in, I will be at my post as part of security. See you around Miss Rose. he says with a smile then the large wooden doors to the ballroom, releasing the music and chatter inside and Brandon enters.

I wait a few seconds before I walk in as well. The place is absolutely magnificent. There are two huge sparkling chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. There are people, all looking elegant, mingling around with each other. There are waiters walking around with plates of food and drinks wandering around. There are a group of musicians on a raised stage in the right-hand corner of the room playing while people dance softly on the dance floor.

I take a moment to admire the beauty of the room and note all the exits and entrances. As Im glancing around, I notice Brandon talking to a small group of people which includes beta Axel before disappearing into the crowd to, I would assume, do his duty as head of security. I slowly walk into the crowd of people – well werewolves – and navigate my way around.

There are many people wandering around chatting with each other. Its kind of fascinating actually. These people here live in solitude from the outside world of humans and yet they have a fully functioning hierarchy and community. But I guess there are many small, secret communities all around the world that many dont know about. Im sure there are people in here that dont know about some of the communities that I do. And thats probably for the best.

As Im walking around I start getting a few looks from people around me. Honestly, I cant blame them. Theres some human walking amongst them at a party to honour the success and return of the Alphas and warriors. And I probably look really odd just walking around not doing anything. So, to avoid this I get a glass of champagne from one of the waiters walking by. I wont actually drink any of it, I have too many foul memories associated with alcohol. Also, I am in a new environment and I want to be on alert at all times, just in case.

After some time wandering around, I find that my safest bet is to just stand a little off to the side and just observe everything. So, I walk off to a corner of the room near a food and drinks table and just observe. There are so many beautiful dresses and people around. The men are dressed to perfection and the woman are in their best dresses. There are some dresses that I would consider a little too provocative for the occasion but each to their own.