Substitute Lover: 2

Once the two adults left, Jing Yi saw the boy begin to walk to where he dropped his book and pick it up again.

"What are you reading?" She asked.

Chen Li turned to re-examine Jing Yi again. The girl had a slightly high pitched voice with a soft tone to it making one feel the need to spoil her.

Her eyes showed a hint of curiosity but aside from that, it looked as if the girl wasn't making an expression at all.

"A book." Chen Li answered coldly while sitting down and opening his book.

"Oh." 

Jing Yi began walking towards the boy.

"What book?" She asked sitting next to him.

Chen Li looked at the little girl who was questioning him curiously. 

Since it is well known that the Jing family spoiled their only daughter very much, he thought she would have more of an arrogant and princess-like attitude or at least the attitude of a normal little girl but she instead had an expressionless face and what bugged him was that he couldn't figure out any of her thoughts.

Whenever he looked at someone, their expression would be a dead giveaway as to what they were thinking. 

He knew what the little kids who flinched in fear when they looked at him thought of him, he knew what his mother thought when staring at him reading his books and what his father was thinking after a day at work.

They would all show changes in their expression that he learnt to read after a while but he couldn't figure out what the little girl in front of him was thinking. Her only giveaway to what she thought were her big pure eyes.

When he greeted her, she nodded back to him calmly without any ripples in her eyes showing that she wasn't afraid of him.

But why? Her temperament is not befitting of a young girl from a rich family. He couldn't think of any reasons as to why.

As the boy continued studying the girl curiously, the girl then repeated her question. 

"What story?" She asked again.

Chen Li snapped out of his trance and showed the girl the cover of his book instead of replying to her question.

"Bussiness Etiquette." Jing Yi read out to which the boy then gave her another surprised glance.

This shouldn't be something an ordinary 5 year old can read right? Maybe she was also a genius child. Chen Li eyed the girl with a bit more curiosity.

[Look at that book he's reading! That's definitely not for kids.] Zhenzhen said wide-eyed, studying the book.

"Can I read this book?" Jing Yi asked Chen Li tilting her head.

"Huh?" 

"No. I haven't finished it." Chen Li refused immediately after his initial shock.

"Then we can read it together." Jing Yi said.

Chen Li stared at the girl. He didn't understand her at all. One minute she was acting like a precocious child and the next, a naive child.

"How will we do that?" Chen Li asked.

"You put the book on the ground and we both read." Jing Yi spoke seriously.

"No, what if I have to flip the page and you're not even done yet?" He questioned.

The girl turned to look at the boy.

"Are you saying you can read faster than me?" She asked, her eyes widening a bit.

"Huh? Well, probably." Chen Li responded affirmatively. After all, he wasn't called a genius child for nothing.