Substitute Lover: 5

Yan Xiuying was upset. It was clearly her and Min-ge's banquet but two other children had taken the spotlight away from them.

She planned to walk into the banquet with Min-ge and attract everyone's attention but when she looked at the guests from behind the door, their attention was clearly on a young boy and girl!

The boy immediately caught her eye. Out of all the boys she had seen, he was by far, the most handsome, but he also looked very mean with his cold stare and sharp features.

She preferred Min-ge who looked just like a kind and dashing prince to her. The girl that the handsome boy was with though caught Yan Xiuying off guard.

She was always used to being showered with compliments for how pretty she was but the girl who was attracting everyone's attention looked ethereal.

She had soft features unlike the boy beside her and big round eyes that made her look like an innocent angel. Contrary to her soft features, she had on an expressionless face but it only added to her appearance.

As Yan Xiuying silently compared herself to the girl, her hands turned into fists and her gaze turned vicious.

If stares could kill, Jing Yi would be dead by now. Unfortunately for Yan Xiuying, things don't work that way so she could only stare at the girl angrily with envy and jealousy.

All kinds of thoughts ran through her mind. She wanted to ruin this girl so that no one would look at her with such adoring eyes. She wanted to humiliate the girl and make her suffer.

...She wanted her dead, so all the attention to be on her, Yan Xiuying.

No one would believe that these vicious thoughts came from a 5-year-old girl.

"Who are you looking at with such a vicious stare!" A voice rang from beside her, interrupting her thoughts.

Yan Xiuying flinched and looked at the person beside her. It was Min-ge's grandma, the Matriarch of the Jian family.

"Grandma." She said as sweetly as possible. She knew that she has to act likeable so that everyone would have a good impression of her. Especially towards people with high statuses such as Min-ge's grandma.

The old lady, however, didn't respond to the call.

"Don't talk to me with such a disgusting, sickly sweet tone." The old lady said with a displeased face.

Yan Xiuying dug her fingernails into her hands and cursed the old hag countless times in her mind but didn't respond until she heard the old hag say something.

"You should be more like the young lady of the Qiu family." The old lady exclaimed. "I met her earlier today. To think that such a young girl would have such a unique temperament and sweet mouth." She said, clearly showing how much she favoured the girl.

"Definitely befitting of her status as the young lady of the Qiu family, and most importantly, she is not arrogant at all!"

Yan Xiuying exploded when she heard this. "What do you mean by that?!" She shouted, attracting the attention of Jian Min who flinched at the sudden outburst, his parents, and her parents.

Who cares about high statuses! That stupid old hag!

She remembered the first time she met the old lady. She donned her best dress and ordered her maids to make her look as beautiful as possible.

She planned to make a good impression on Min-ge's grandma. Once she arrived and greeted Min-ge's grandma, she eagerly waited for the compliments that she would always receive from others but instead, she heard the old lady say, "How arrogant and flashy! Not a good match for Xiao Min at all."

Naturally, she was furious! How dare that old lady call her arrogant and flashy! She threw a tantrum, screaming out rude words and breaking things.

Eventually, she had to apologize which made her feel even more resentful.

And now the old hag is complimenting another girl while also discreetly calling her arrogant once again?! How dare she!

"How unladylike and rude!" The old lady backed away as if she was looking at something dirty. Yan Xiuying wanted to give the old hag a piece of her mind but was pulled back by her parents.

"Now now Ying'er, today is the day you'll announce your engagement with Xiao Min, you should be happy." Her mum spoke with a worried expression.

She glanced over at Min-ge who looked at her with a shocked expression. Right... how could she act like this in front of Min-ge! She immediately began crying and ran off into Jian Min's arms.

"Wu wu, I'm sorry Min-ge. I'm sorry everyone." She cried pitifully, tears streaming down her face.

As everyone besides the old hag came to comfort her, she felt Jian Min hug her tightly and grinned secretly.

________

Yan Xiuying smiled happily as all eyes were on her and Min-ge. She joyfully welcomed the stares of envy from the other ladies as well and clutched onto Jian Min even tighter.

She then remembered something and scanned the crowd for the two children who she saw earlier.

She spotted the handsome boy staring at Min-ge and her with... jealousy?

Could it be, that perhaps he liked her and was jealous of Min-ge? Yan Xiuying smirked arrogantly as if assured of the answer. Of course, he did! After all, she was Yan Xiuying, the only daughter of the Yan family.

She had everything a boy could ever ask for, whether it was status, money, beauty or personality, she had it all.

Who wouldn't fall in love with her?

Of course, this was all Yan Xiuying's delusions. Chen Li was staring at her and Jian Min with jealousy because they managed to get engaged and were announcing that they would be married in the future when they were the same age as him and Qiu Yi.

He wanted to get engaged to Qiu Yi too! Then he won't have to worry about her getting together with another boy and she and he can stay together forever.

Yan Xiuying then turned her attention onto the girl she saw earlier. She hoped that the girl had on an envious expression, but to her disappointment, Jing Yi had on no expression at all.

Her eyes were still as pure as ever but to Yan Xiuying, it looked as if she was mocking her. Was she looking down on her? Her? The princess of the Yan family?

Yan Xiuying was unconsciously looking down on Jing Yi, thinking that she was most likely from a smaller family than hers. After all, she had never seen Jing Yi at a banquet before.

It was a reasonable guess. After all, the previous Qiu Yi had never attended a banquet before as she would always decline her parent's suggestions to go to one. She would much rather prefer to stay at home and read a book instead.

Once Qiu Yi did go to a banquet when she was older, she lacked a sense of presence and most didn't even notice she was there, effectively causing Qiu Yi to dislike banquets.

[Woah, she sure is glaring at you host!]

'Hmm.' Jing Yi replied.

[Ding!]

[Eh? New missions?]

[Mission:

- To reverse Qiu Yi's tragic fate: 1000 points

Side Missions:

- Help the female lead and male lead stay together: 250 points

- Make sure the villainess doesn't get a happy ending: 500 points]

Zhenzhen stared at the mission panel in both shock and excitement.

[Wow, if you manage to do all these tasks, you'll get 1750 points! That's a lot of points for your first world.]

'Oh.' Jing Yi replied, clearly more interested in stroking the fluffy white ball.

[Host... are you even listening.]

Zhenzhen pouted but still allowed Jing Yi to stroke it's fur while laying comfortably on her lap. Suddenly it's fur stood up and the little system immediately cried.

[The villainess is approaching you with the male lead!]

.................................

A/N: As always, thank you for reading. I hope you have enjoyed :)