Chapter 11

Mom's car was in the driveway when I got home. It was strange she was back before four. It was unsettling. She was never home before five on her work days. I hurried inside, worried something happened. Wouldn't that just fit in with everything that's been happening?

"Mom?" I called. Silence. It wasn't the silence of not being answered - it was the silence of being alone. I slowly made my way to her room, scared. I took a deep breath and opened her door. Empty. She wasn't home. I breathed a sigh of relief and went to my room. But that was short lived. If she wasn't here, why was her car outside?

I pulled out my phone and opened the tracking app I'd insisted we get after that one night I stayed up waiting for her. It showed her as being a few blocks over. I didn't recognized the house or address. How did she know them? I opened my texts and shot one off to her. Saw your car out front. You okay?

Honestly, I didn't expect her to answer, but I decided to wait and see anyway. While I did, I went and got my snacks. I wondered if Ryan was busy. Probably not, unless...

I shook my head, not wanting to go down that thought path.

I went to my room and flopped on my bed. I pulled up our conversation and stared at it for a while. Was it even okay to message him? After all, he did approach me in the cafeteria and I did brush him off and ignore him. I held my breath and sent a message anyway: Can we talk?

The read showed up under my words. I bit my lip, waiting for a reply. But none came. After five minutes I gave up and sat my phone down. He wasn't a jock and wasn't in any clubs that I knew of.

Was Miranda wrong? Was he and Courtney really together? I opened the family size bag of chips and shoved several into my mouth at once. Or maybe I was too late? That was a possibility.

After a while, I heard the front door close. Mom was back. Before I could get up, I heard her go to her room and slam the door. Looked like I was cooking tonight if I wanted to eat. I looked into the chip bag. It was almost empty. Not surprisingly, I wasn't too hungry yet. Cooking could wait a while.

I checked my phone. Nothing. 

---

My productivity attempts were futile yet again. I ended up cooking and nothing else. When I tried to bring Mom's to her, she wouldn't open her door. She wouldn't even answer me. I wasn't all that concerned about it, though. I was too consumed by my own thoughts.

Worried I may not be the valedictorian. Worried I wouldn't get Ryan. Worried I'd have to be alone for the rest of my senior year. I was fine not being popular, but I liked having people I hang out with. But after being Courtney's target, there wasn't a single student that was dumb enough to speak to me. If they did, they'd be her target, too.

I ended up eating in my room, sat on my bed. Alone. I decided to force myself to film some bits for my next video, even though I had no interest in it.

Surprisingly, it didn't take too long for me to get into it. At some point, I heard my phone buzz. I dove for it, somehow stubbing my toe in the progress. I checked my phone through my wince, but the pain vanished when I saw Ryan's name.

I thought we already did.

That's all he said. I frowned and replied. I wouldn't call that talking. Contrary to popular belief, I do have some common sense. Your girlfriend was watching.

His reply was immediate. She's not my girlfriend!

I'm not sure I believe you. So Miranda was right. Still, I wanted to see just how serious he was about this.

What would it take to convince you?

What do you think? He said he liked me. I wanted him to prove it.

Something public?

You're getting warm.

It showed he was typing for a couple of minutes. What do you want?

Do you like me? I bit my lip. Was that too straight-forward?

Again, his reply was almost instant. Absolutely.

I pressed my lips together, determined to not let the squeal out. Then you should know what to do.

I watched as he typed for what seemed like forever. Right when I thought he wouldn't respond, he finally sent his message: I'll see you tomorrow. I hope you won't let me down.

His words were confusing. Let him down? I didn't know what he meant, but I did know I had some footage to finish filming.

---

At some point the next day, I'd decided to hide out in the library at lunch. Yes, I'd have to avoid Miranda and her friends, but that seemed preferable to facing Courtney and her friends. But, as I was about to head into the library, someone grabbed my hand. I was shocked to find Ryan next to me. "What are you doing?" I asked, trying to pull my hand away. He just smiled at me and kept a solid grip on my hand.

He led me to the lunchroom. "Go find a table," he said quietly. "I'll be right there."

I simply nodded, curious what he was up to. He made his way to the popular kids as I found an empty table in a corner. Business as usual, it seemed.

Ryan reached the empty seat he usually sat in, but he stayed standing. Riley and Mary watched him - along with all the kids nearby - as he said something to Courtney. She narrowed her eyes and they began to argue with increasing volume. Eventually, even I could hear from the other side of the room.

"Don't lie to me!" Courtney shouted. "I know you're leaving me for her!"

"For the last time! I'm not your boyfriend! I never was!" He leaned in close and said a few quiet words to her. Her mouth dropped open and he walked away. She didn't shout or come after him. She simply sat down. By the time Ryan reached my table, my mouth had shut and I was fighting a smirk. "How was that?"

"Very public."

He gave me a small smile and reached a hand across the table to touch mine. "It was the only thing I could really think of. Evie, I like you. A lot. I want to see where this goes."

"You told off the most popular girl in school for me," I said, still not quite believing it had really happened.

"Of course." He rubbed the back of his neck. "I wanted to prove I'm not lying and that I really do want to be with you. Like I said, that was all I could think of doing."

I flipped my hand over and let his fingers slot between mine. Perfect fit. "Thank you," I said in a quiet voice.

He watched our hands as he gently held onto mine. He eventually broke the silence lingering between us. "I want to ask you something. Why didn't you let me kiss you?"

The question felt far too invasive, and he didn't know what he was asking. I fought the minor freak out in my head by running a finger over his knuckles. "It's a long story," I said in a near-whisper.

His eye met mine. I couldn't figure out why, but his stare was almost unnerving. "I'll listen."

I suppressed the small shiver. "Later." He smiled and nodded.