Chapter 9

[ Couple of days later ]

You and Chris face each other at a three meters distance. You both took your fighting stance, ready to duel, but none took the first strike until you decided to initiate.

You ran to him, holding your staff at your dominant side, and struck him in the arm, but Chris swiftly moved, dodging it. He took the opportunity and kicked the side of your waist. Fortunately, you maneuvered out of the way before you got hit and struck him fast when his back was facing you. He took the hit and took a step back as he tried to regain his footing but failed as he stumbled to the ground. 

Your duel ended quickly, earlier than you expected.

You blink your eyes rapidly, believing that this is a dream. Seeing your cousin groaning in pain with his face on the ground. "Wait... it's over?" You asked, still in doubt.

'Usually, this lasts almost an hour, and I'm the one groaning in pain after.'

Chris slowly stood up, still in pain. "I envy you for being a fast learner and also proud that you are my student. But you don't have to hit me that hard." He complained as some castle servants ran up to him. To check if there are any significant bruises or injuries, luckily, there aren't.

You guys ended your duel and walked back to the lounge area of the garden. The servants quickly treated your cousin first aid when he sat at the bench. "It hurts my pride just how fast you learned the things I've learned for the past years." He admitted, and you felt almost guilty for it. Almost.

"At least this means you taught me greatly. You gave specific points and pieces of advice even though I am just an amateur." You tried your best to cheer him up. 

It worked as you see him smile again, "Well, since I've taught you well." He says with pride. You roll your eyes at him. "I think it's time to meet the greatest heroes in Fairy Tale Island. They may teach you other things besides what I've taught you."

You nodded, completely missing the word of possibility. "Okay, cool... wait, what do you mean may teach me?" You raised your eyes in suspicion. Chris awkwardly laughs, "You see. I haven't contacted them for the past year." He sheepishly smiled and awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck.

You gave him a deadpanned look but shrugged your shoulders after. All you care about is getting out of this palace. "Fine, where is their place? What should I say if I meet them? Would they test me to see if I'm qualified to be their student? Moreover, teach me?" You anxiously paced back and forth in front of Chris.

"Hey!" He shouted, stopping you from pacing. "Sorry." You instinctively say.

"Relax, okay? If you go to Risky Rock, you will see a faux castle and say to them that you know me. I'm sure they'll give you training." He gives you an assuring smile, calming you down.

<><>

You wake up as dawn breaks, preparing for your journey to Risky Rock. You got dressed, the same one you wore on the first day of training with Chris. But this time, with knee-high boots. After that, you walk into the stable where Chris, Belle, Maurice, and a rare sleepy Adam are waiting for you.

You walked over to Belle and hugged her, "I'm gonna miss you." She whispered as she hugged you back. She broke the hug and gave you a satchel. Inside is money enough to last you a couple of weeks and a compass.

Chris came up, holding the reins of the horse and a folded map in his other hand. He lent you the reins, and you got on the horse's back, he gave you the map, and you took it then put it inside your satchel.