Chapter 22

"Save my papa for me." Before she took the apple from Regina's hands, she closed her eyes and took a bite of the apple. You and Merlin muffled a scream. The bitten fruit landed on the ground as Snow fell beside it. Her fair skin turns into a wrinkled wooden texture, and she groans in agony as she tries to stand up. The branches drag you and Merlin away. You see her checking herself before the doors close.

The branches dragged you and him to the main hall of the castle. "A legendary handsome knight, fearless rescuer of princesses, oh and a princess whose place should sit still and look pretty. Sitting in a tree, not getting K-I-S-S-I-N-D. Burn I can't spell." Taunted the voice that came from the mirror. A shiny crystal mirror with two bright lights as its eyes and the texture of a tree as its facial structure.

You wiggled out where your mouth is open free, as Merlin's. "You don't have to do this. Just take the shoes and let the three of us go." You pleaded, catching breaths from the muffled screaming. "I wish. They're made of pure magic apples. The fruit of temptation and want. They feed on your desires. Once they give you what you desire, the bond is permanent." It explained.

"That's not true. She took them off in the river." Merlin denied. The mirror looked at him, confused. "That doesn't make any sense. How could she possibly want to save both of you more than she wanted to be beautiful?" The mirror says as the branches grip on you and Merlin's body tighter.

"What did you do to her? Did you cast a spell?" You and Merlin looked at each other, realizing something. "What's going to happen to her?" You asked. The mirror smirked at your question.

"Well, once she eats the apple, its magic will turn her into a magic apple tree. Gong! The first bell! Nothing really happens, but it is very dramatic. The tree bears fruit, and the second bell... Gong! Excitement mounts! The morning sun touches the fruit turning into a new pair of red shoes. And number three, the circle of life!" It explained.

"And then what?" You asked, wanting more answers. "Regina will be the most beautiful person in the kingdom. Forever." It responded, but you shook your head. "I don't care about her," you spat. "What about Snow White?"

"The tree withers and dies, and so does Snow White." It explained, and anger bubbled up to you.

'I don't want her to die. Not after all that, sacrificing herself and not finding her father.'

"No!" You and Merlin hollered. "Yes!" The mirror copied but with ecstasy. Merlin slipped out his hand with his talisman and zapped the branch, releasing him. He landed safely and ignited the talisman, throwing it to the branch that trapped you. You suavely landed on your two feet and smirked at Merlin.

A branch came in your way, and you two somersaulted out of the way. You get your staff from the sheath, and the mirror spawns out its branches from the floor. You and Merlin looked at each other and simultaneously nodded. You two began to sprint close to the mirror. Its branches strike the both of you, but you two easily dodged them.

A branch comes right up to you, and you quickly slide down when it gets close and stand up, then continue running. Two are coming up, and you shorten your staff. Two are blocking your way. You smirked and just ran towards them. You then extended your weapon and vault over the branch-like wall.

You landed and caught your staff. You saw Merlin having difficulty dodging the branches. You thought of a plan. You stopped running and picked up a random tile shard. You throw it to the branches. They stop and instantly go your way.

This distraction allowed Merlin to run towards the metal doors and zap them open with his magic. And this idea of yours may be the stupidest thing you've done, dodging through the moving branches. One branch strapped your leg, petrifying you.