Chapter 24: Chosen Family

Nearly everyone Harry loved was standing around him in the Weasleys' backyard: Draco, the kids (including Rose, Hugo, and Scorpius), Ginny and Neville, George and (a now pregnant) Luna, Arthur and Molly, Minerva, Hagrid, Teddy, and Ron and Hermione. Everyone was talking, laughing, drinking, smiling: it was Harry's birthday. Harry looked around at the family he had gained over the years since coming into the wizarding world and smiled. He only wished he hadn't lost so many people on the journey here.

He thought back to everything that lead to this moment. From his childhood at the Dursleys, to his time at Hogwarts to walking into the forbidden forest to die (twice), he never could have imagined how happy he could be. He knew his parents must be smiling down. Harry hoped they would have accepted his sexuality, although he never really knew them, he couldn't imagine them not wanting him to be happy like this. 

"Hey, Harry?" Neville said grabbing his arm and leaning in, "Can I speak to you for a moment?"

"Sure." Harry said, quite confused. Neville led him upstairs into a bedroom where his three children were waiting. They looked just as confused as he was. Harry took a seat next to his son James and turned back to Neville, who was sweating profusely and shaking. 

Neville took a deep breath to settle himself and then said to his audience, "I have something I would like to ask you all."

***

Harry, James, Albus, Lily, and Neville all returned to the party shortly after; just in time for dinner. Everyone was talking and laughing, even Draco had slowly learned to relax around the Weasleys and was smiling as he chatted with George - the two seemed to have a budding kinship. When everyone was done eating and the table had been cleared, Neville stood up and quieted the table. 

"I would like to say a few things," he seemed nervous but he was holding himself together better than he was in the bedroom, Harry thought. "Firstly, happy birthday Harry! Thank you for being one of my best friends in life, and thank you for letting me use this time to say something that has nothing to do with you." 

Everyone giggled and Harry shouted, "You got this Neville! Whoo!" Harry might have been the slightest bit drunk. 

Everyone laughed again before Neville continued. He turned to Ginny, "Ginny, as much as I love Harry, I am glad you two divorced," again everyone laughed. Harry was smiling to himself, knowing what was coming. He thought Neville was doing a great job. "...because I am so glad I found you again. I am so glad we found what we have now. I know its been a crazy ride, for all of us," Neville glanced at Harry and Draco for a quick moment before looking back at Ginny, "but I think this is how it was meant to be. I am so happy with you. I love you." Harry looked at his kids to see them all smiling as they looked back and forth between Neville and their mom. "And I-I know it's soon, but I am more than ready to start my life with you. I don't want to waste a moment. So," Neville paused to get down on one knee in front of Ginny pulled out a ring box and opened it, "Ginny, will you marry me?"

Ginny looked from Neville to the ring, she was blushing hard with a huge smile on her face. Then it fell slightly for a second as she looked to her children. 

"Oh go on mom! We all gave our blessing!" James yelled over the table to her. Her three children were smiling and nodding at her. 

Ginny's face broke back into that huge smile as she giggled to herself and turned back to Neville. "I thought you'd never ask." She said sarcastically before grabbing his face and pulling him into a kiss. The whole table cheered.  

When the two broke the kiss, Neville put the beautiful gold ring on her finger. Harry couldn't be happier for them. Then Draco whispered into his ear, "You ever going to get me a ring, Potter?" he seemed like he was trying to sound sarcastic, but Harry knew he was serious about it. "Like I know we don't need all this traditional hogwash, but it would have been nice."

"Well," Harry said as he reached into his robe pocket and pulled out a ring box, "I was going to do this today, but then Neville asked so I figured I would just wait–"

"YES!" Draco shouted, cutting him off. Harry had opened the box to show Draco an emerald and ruby entwined on a white gold ring. People now were looking to the couple, trying to figure out what was going on. 

Harry only heard snippets  "Harry" "ring" "just proposed" "Draco" as Draco grabbed the ring and put it on his own finger. He kissed Harry and then started showing everyone around him, talking about it was the most beautiful ring he had ever seen. Harry smiled to himself, watching the man he loved. Everything seemed to be quiet and all he heard or saw was Draco. He loved him so much. Then he was shaken from his trance as Ron and Hermione tapped him to get his attention. 

"Harry! You didn't tell us - well - congrats, mate." Ron said giving his best friend a big hug. 

"Yes, oh Harry, I'm so happy for you guys!" Hermione said before almost knocking Harry over with a very big hug. 

Harry quickly explained to them how they had already been engaged before other people started coming over trying to get in their hugs and 'congratulations.' Molly came over once she was done with Ginny to grab Harry's face and then hug him, then she grabbed Draco into a big hug before insisting on a photo, gesturing to Arthur with a camera. "Molly wouldn't let me use the muggle camera. She said you'll all want moving pictures to remember this time." Arthur said before giving Harry and then Draco a hug. Then he snapped a photo of the two of them, Draco proudly showing his ring. 

Then Molly insisted on a photo with Ginny and Neville and Draco and Harry. Then more with other people, all the while people were still trying to give Harry hugs, pats on the back, and handshakes. It was chaos for a while, but finally it came to a end and it was time for 'Happy Birthday' and cake. 

It was starting to get dark, so it was prefect when Molly brought out the cake with candles. Everyone sang and Harry blew out the candles. Just as he did, Ron and George set off fireworks that printed "Harry Birthday Harry" across the sky. 

Torches were lit and everyone sat back down at the table to eat cake. As the cake was placed in front of Harry to cut, he stood with his glass; he hit a spoon against the side. "Everyone, before we eat this wonderful looking cake - thank you, Molly - I have an announcement." 

Everyone around him looked perplexed. There had already been two proposals that evening, "I was going to say this at dinner, but Neville asked to have the floor, and I happily obliged." Harry looked at everyone and then let his eyes land on his love, his official fiancé now, as he said, "And I didn't quite plan to propose tonight after that, but someone kind of forced my hand." Everyone laughed and it actually brought some color to Draco's cheeks. Harry then turned back to the rest of his family, "But I have something else to tell you all about my future. As you all know, I have stepped down from the Auror's Department, but I'm not actually going into retirement. I am accepting the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts." Some people already knew: Draco, Ginny, Neville, the kids, and Minvera of course. But Harry had been keeping it a surprise from everyone else, even his two best friends. 

"Finally!" Someone shouted. It was George. 

"Yes, it was about time." Minerva responded. 

Harry couldn't help but smile, everyone at the table seemed pleased as well, "Yes, I think it will be the right thing for me. After a year off, I'll being starting the following school year."

Unbenonced to Harry, Draco gave a small nod to Minvera, and Minvera nodded back. Then Draco rose, standing next to Harry. "The same year I..." Draco started to speak, everyone else looked as if this was proceeding as plan, but Harry had no idea what was about to come out of Draco's mouth, "...will be filling the Charms position as Professor Filtwick will, alas, be retiring." 

Draco had always exceeded ing Charms, in his years at Hogwarts he even rivaled Hermione's skill in the subject. In sixth year, he was the only student other than Hermione to cast the extremely difficult Protean charm. 

Everyone was surprised by Draco's announcement but none as much as Harry. As far as he knew, Draco had never even had a real job - he didn't need to. And now he would be a Hogwarts professor, they both would be - and that thought made Harry so happy. He looked to Draco and Draco turned to look at him with a sly smile, obviously quite proud of himself. Harry grabbed the side of his face and pulled Draco into a deep kiss in front of the cheering crowd. 

This was the best birthday Harry had ever had.