Chapter 3

Everyone was waiting for them in the library when they arrived. Sam walked over and sat beside Gabe while Cas placed Dean down in a chair and stood beside him. When Dean saw John staring at him, the smile slipped from his face and he looked away. Cas saw the interaction and placed a hand on Dean's shoulder.

"So you're Castiel, I presume?" John asked. Cas could see John's eyes boring into the wedding ring on his left hand, the hand resting on Dean's shoulder.

"Yes, I am," Cas decided to politely answer. Sure, John was an asshole, but, who knew, Heaven could've changed him.

"How did the two of you meet?"

"He, "gripped him tight and raised him from perdition"," Gabe imitated Cas's deep and gravelly voice. Sam and Gabe broke out laughing, Rowena, Mary, and Dean were suppressing a laugh, and Cas glared at his brother. Jack was confused and John didn't look happy; he looked pissed.

"I do not sound like that, Gabriel," Cas ground out.

"Sorry, babe, but you kinda do," Dean chuckled. The small family often made fun of Cas's voice. Thankfully, Cas didn't take it too seriously. Even then, Dean could see his husband trying to fight down the smile creeping its way onto his face.

"Whatever. Yes, I raised Dean from Hell. I rebuilt his body from the ground up and placed his soul back inside. I have been with him and Sam since. But I assume you already knew that after your talk with Mary."

John just nodded, clearly upset about something . "I did. I just wanted to hear it from your mouth."

Dean recognized the tone of John's voice. It caused him to freeze as memories flashed through his head. Last time he'd heard that tone, he was 22 and nearly beat to death.

He reached up and gripped Cas's hand when he felt it grip his shoulder.

"Dean, could I talk to you for a minute alone?" John asked, his eyes almost boring into Dean's soul.

Dean's eyes widened. He looked up at Cas standing behind him and he looked just as scared as Dean felt.

Cas, realizing that Dean could feel his fear, decided to calm down. Dean needed him to be strong right now. Cas leaned down and gave Dean a quick kiss on the head. "I know you're scared, but it'll be ok. Go talk to him, then come back to our room. If anything goes wrong, I'll know. You're safe. You'll be ok." He then stands back up and lightly squeezes Dean's shoulder again.

Dean nodded, then slowly stood up and limped toward John. However, before he even took three steps, Jack called out.

"Wait, Dad! Let me heal your leg."

Dean turned around to look at his son with a smile on his face. Jack was so willing to do whatever it took to make everyone happy. He was kinda like Cas in that way. Granted, Cas is his Pops, so, that's not that much of a stretch. They even look the same for Chuck's sake!

However, before Jack could even get near Dean's leg, John ordered "it's just a bite, he'll be fine. He doesn't need any of your magic shit, he's a Winchester."

Before Mary could argue, Dean just looked at her. He knew that she could argue with John 'till they were both blue in the face, but that still wouldn't change John's mind.

Dean gave Jack a kiss on the head, then ruffled his hair. "Why don't you go hang out with your Pops for a while. I know he missed you."

Jack looked a little sad, but he nodded, gave Dean a quick hug, then made his way to Cas. Cas looked at Dean with a melancholic look on his face, then he led Jack out of the room as the kid excitedly talked about his progress using his magic.

Dean limped behind John as he followed him to the kitchen. When they made it there, Dean took the liberty of getting them both a beer, then he sat down at the table while John remained standing.

Dean actively avoided John's eyes, instead choosing to focus on his drink or thinking about what was waiting for him in his room.

After a beat of silence and a few sips of beer, John finally spoke. "You know, I thought I taught you better. I mean, Sam I get. He's always been rebellious. But you? I thought I beat that lesson into you a long time ago."

Dean looked up at his fa- at John. "Excuse me?" What the hell did he mean?

"Shacking up with monsters? I taught you better than that. Did they brainwash you or something? They must've because there's no way that my son would've-"

"Would've what, John?" Dean cut off. What the hell was he implying? "Wouldn't have married an angel? Wouldn't have an amazing son, who just happens to be half angel? Wouldn't have lost so many of my friends? Wouldn't have-"

The sound of a slap resounded throughout the kitchen. Dean cupped his cheek where he felt the stinging pain. For a second he thought John had drawn blood, but he thankfully didn't.

"Don't talk back to me, boy! I am your father and you will do as I say, do you understand me?"

Dean just nodded his head, too afraid to do or say anything.

"I said, do you understand me, boy?!"

"Yes sir!" Dean yelped, knowing that that was what John wanted to hear.

"Good. Now you get rid of those monsters, the abomination, and the witch, or I'll do it myself. Do I make myself clear?"

Dean nodded. "Yes sir."

John made a shooing motion with his hand, toward the door. "Get out of my face." Dean nodded and scurried out of the room.

They were in danger. He was gonna kill them. None of them were safe. They couldn't stay there. They-

"Dean? What's wrong?"

Dean looked up and found that he was standing in the doorway to his and Cas's room. Cas was stood in front of him with his hands on Dean's shoulders. He hadn't realized but he was hyperventilating. He tried to calm down, but each deep breath drove him closer to a sob.

Cas seemed to realize that and drew him into a hug. When Cas's arms encircled around Dean, the dam broke. Dean buried his face into Cas's shoulder and started sobbing and hyperventilating.

Jack was still sitting on the bed, watching the scene unfold before his eyes. He'd seen his dad cry before, but never this. He'd never seen him break down like that.  His Pops had told him that Dad would be different now that John was here. Pops had also told him that while John was Sam and Dean's father, he wasn't Jack's grandpa. He didn't understand; why wouldn't he be? But, after seeing Dean sobbing in Cas's arms, gripping onto the back of his shirt like it's his lifeline, he understood.

John broke Dean in more ways than one.

Jack hopped off the bed when Cas started moving toward it. He pulled back the covers while Cas stripped Dean down to his boxers. Cas then maneuvered Dean so he was laying in the bed, his head resting on Cas's still clothed chest. Dean had stopped crying, but the tears still stained his face. His breathing had also slowed and he was nearing unconsciousness.

"Jack, could you please go get Sam?" Cas asked. He wanted to ask Dean what was wrong, but he knew that Sam needed to be present.

Jack nodded, then left the room.