Chapter 11 - New Roomies

Ginny, who sat next to Colin in Charms, was distraught, but Fred and George were definitely going the wrong way to cheer her up! They were taking it in turns to cover themselves with fur or boils and jump out at her from behind statues.

Meanwhile, hidden from the teachers, a roaring trade that the Insurgents may or may not have been making quite a profit from in talismans, amulets, and other protective devices was sweeping the school. Neville bought a large, evil smelling green onion, a pointed purple chrysalis, and a rotting newt tail before the other Gryffindor boys and I pointed out that he was in no danger: he was a pure blood and therefore unlikely to be attacked.

"They went for Filch first." Neville said, his round face fearful. "And everyone knows I'm almost a Squib."

"Aw, c'mere." I said, pulling him into a shoulder-hug. "You're not almost a Squib! Right, boys?"

Seamus, Dean, Harry, and Ron all nodded quickly, fearful of what I would do to them if they didn't.

They better be scared!

~~~

We had to cause a diversion in Potions so that Hermione could steal some ingredients that we needed for the Polyjuice Potion from Snape's private stores.

Deliberately causing mayhem in Snape's class was about as safe as poking a sleeping dragon in the eye. Perfect!

Hermione nodded at me from two desks over, and I ducked swiftly down behind my cauldron, pulled one of Fred's Filibuster fireworks (I had ran out a couple of weeks ago when I pulled that last prank on the twins - it was a spectacular finale!) out of my pocket and gave it a quick prod with my wand. The firework began to fizz and sputter. I straightened up, took aim, and lobbed it into the air; it landed right on target in Goyle's cauldron. The potion exploded, showering the whole class. People shrieked as splashes of the Swelling Solution hit them. Floppy got a faceful and his nose began to swell like a balloon; Pratinson squealed as her head expanded. Snape was trying to restore calm and find out what happened. Through the confusion, I saw Hermione slip quietly out the door.

"Silence! SILENCE!" Snape roared. "Anyone who has been splashed, come here for a Deflating Draught. When I find out who did this ..."

I tried not to laugh, then buried my face in my robes and tried to contain myself. When everyone had taken a swig of antidote and the various swellings had subsided, Snape swept over to Goyle's cauldron and scooped out the twisted black remains of the firework. There was a sudden hush.

"If I ever find out who threw this," Snape whispered, "I shall MAKE SURE that person is expelled."

I tried to keep a straight face. Snape was looking right at me. Then he strode over to me and grabbed the front of my robes.

"WAS THIS YOU?" He hissed.

"No." I said matter-of-fact-ly, shrugging my shoulders. "What makes you think that, SIR?"

He glared at me for a moment or two, then released me.

When the bell rang and we all got out, I finally burst out laughing.

We got up to the girl's bathroom, where Hermione was adding the stolen ingredients.

"You're a really good actor!" Ron laughed, looking at me in awe.

"She's my twin, what do you expect?" Harry said, and I glared at him.

"Shut up Harry, no one likes you." I said.

~~~

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I had put frogs in Parvati and Lavender's beds. And somehow, Professor McGonagall found out about it. So there I was then, in her office, with her lecturing me about how I shouldn't 'perform horrible deeds on sensitive girls like them', and I had told her that I simply can't just not prank my room mates, and she looked like she was considering something.