Prologue

Shiny.

That's what ten-year-old Jeongin first thought when he saw a ring a woman was trying on in a jewelry store at the mall.

Jeongin didn't know why but he just had to have it.

Jeongin let go of his mother's hand and started running towards the jewelry store, his mother's yells ignored. Jeongin ran into the jewelry store and ran straight into the woman who was in the middle of taking off the ring with so much force that she flew onto the floor. She screamed.

Jeongin tumbled across the floor. The world spun around him, but there was only one thing he could focus on.

The ring.

Jeongin heard the ring clatter across the floor and saw it land about an arms reach away from him. Jeongin's eyes widened and his immediate instinct was to grab it and stuff it into his pocket. 

Jeongin's mother ran into the store. "Jeongin, oh my god, what are you doing?"

Jeongin's mother helped Jeongin off the floor and immediately turned to the others in the store. "I'm so sorry. I'm sorry."

The woman that Jeongin knocked over got up and glared at Jeongin. Jeongin cowered back. She looked back from Jeongin to his mother. "You need to teach your kid how to behave."

"I know. I'm so sorry."

Jeongin's mother pulled Jeongin out of the store and through the mall to their car. The whole way home, Jeongin's mother lectured Jeongin on behaving correctly.

Jeongin couldn't focus on his mother's words. A bit of guilt has been creeping into his head. Everyone was really mad at him.

Jeongin pulled the ring out of his pocket and looked at it. It was way to big for him to wear and he didn't even want the ring.

But it was so shiny.

So shiny.

unedited