Chapter 13

Ryan’s POV:

Flashback

Today was the most scary nightmare that I had lived apart from the one where I lost my beloved grandmother. I couldn’t get over the fact that I had just bid my farewell to Amber.

It killed me when I realized that it was the last time when we talked to each other, when I could hear her honey dipped words or for that matter it was also the last time when I could feel her fingers intertwined in mine. I stopped at a bar while going home to drown my misery.

Why does it always have to be ruined for me? Just when I smiled after so long today and thought that things are finally getting to a point where I can smile again, it was all brought back to ruins by taking away the one person who was the reason behind most of my smiles from the past few days.

I remember being so excited to celebrate my Thanksgiving with Amber and although I did have a memorable time with her, it was just over, so early. I was loaded with a lot of alcohol when I made my way towards my car.

I knew I couldn’t drive in such a drunkard state if I wasn’t planning to attend my own funeral as a ghost so I decided to call my driver. I rummaged through my pockets to finally get a hold of my phone.

With my blurry eyes trying to support me to get a clear image of the various numbers in my phone, I searched until my eyes landed on my driver’s number. I called him and asked him to pick me up.

I sat inside my car while resting my head on the steering wheel when suddenly I heard someone knocking on my car window. I was relieved to see that my driver, Samwell was standing there with a concerned look on his face.

He helped me get out of the car before locking it behind us and then he guided me in the back seat of his car. “Do you need anything?”, Samwell  asked me while securing his seat belt.

“I want her, Samwell. She keeps me happy, she makes me feel wanted”, I said while pouting at my newfound sadness. Samwell looked at me through the rear view mirror and while scratching his eyebrow with his index finger he said, “You would want to not speak anything in front of Khloe about whoever this girl is, Ryan. She is already furious after watching you on the news with some girl which I am assuming is the same girl whom you are talking about.”

I focused on the bright street lights that illuminated the dark winter streets before muttering, “Fuck! Khloe saw the news. I am deep in shit already and now I have to deal with her too. Did you hear her say anything else?” Samwell thought for a minute as if contemplating if he should tell me or not before carefully measuring his next words out of his mouth, “She called your friends just to be informed that you had absolutely no plans meeting them for dinner today. I suggest you to sleep it off for a day before you have any conversation with her.”

I looked at him as if he had grown two heads and said the next words with hate in my tone, “Did she really do that? I can’t believe how Khloe can behave so unreasonable at times.” He didn’t say a word more leaving me to my thoughts.

I appreciated this quality the most about him. Samwell has been with me since my early days as an entrepreneur.

He knows me in and out and is a dear friend of mine. He knows when his wise words need to be preached and when he should just leave me alone, pondering over it myself.

He never really asked me about any details even when I shared practically everything with him. As soon as the car came to a halt in the driveway, I huffed while looking at the big house in front of me which is supposed to be my home, the place that keeps me at peace but honestly, with each passing day it was just turning into something exactly opposite of what is expected of it.