Chapter 14

Ryan’s POV:

I was sitting in my office and was sipping on my sixth cup of coffee since morning. The events of previous night still haunted my mind.

I came to office at 6:00 in the morning to avoid any contact with Khloe during breakfast. My eyes were still puffy from all the tears I shed last night and also they were devoid of any shine and life in them.

Atleast this was what my manager, Mike told me. I lied to him that it was because of the lack of sleep last night although it wasn’t a lie completely.

I sat on the rocking chair besides the window the entire night, desperately waiting for the morning sun to light my room and bring a little hope in my wretched life. I had asked Mike to fix an appointment with my lawyer which made him look at me questionably.

I wanted our divorce to be privately handled as I didn’t want any press attention for either of us. Mike waited for a second or two in my office  waiting for me to fill him up with the details for an urgent meeting with my lawyer but I kept my eyes glued to the laptop screen in front of me.

I could trust Mike as he is not only my manager but also my confidante from a very long time but I wanted to prolong it as I wasn’t in the best of my mood to repeat those horrid details about how the marriage that was all I wanted once has now turned into nothing more than the worst mistake of my life. I looked at our picture lying on my table as we both showed our engagement ring and looked so in love.

I took the photo frame in my hand and rubbed my thumb over her face. Was I taking the right decision of divorcing her?

Was this just the heat of the moment acting to make me take such extreme steps? I knew for a fact that divorce was final and that there was no coming back from there once we are on our way.

I thought about all the happy days I spent with her back when we both loved each other dearly but before I could even reminisce them, the thoughts of how she insults me every now and then crossed my mind. Even when I wanted to focus on the summer days of our relationship, my mind focused on the storm that she had caused in my life.

I was brought out of my thoughts when my phone started ringing. I wanted to bash it across the room for disturbing me when I was trying to make a very important decision.

But my thoughts were immediately intervened when I saw the one name on the screen that I never thought I will receive a call from. It was Amber.

Suddenly different thoughts started invading my mind. Maybe she was missing me or maybe I might have left something of mine at her place yesterday or maybe she just wants to meet me for one last time.

I rested my thoughts to peace by not wasting another moment to pick her call. “Hello”, I said while getting up from my chair and making my way towards the big glass window that held a breath taking view of the city in front of me.

“R…Ryan? It’s me, A…Amber”, she said sounding scared. This caused me to panic.

“Are you fine? You sound frightened”, I asked her while pacing in my office, desperately waiting for her to say something that would calm me from getting a panic attack. “I was going to the supermarket but stopped on my way at a café. Suddenly the paparazzi surrounded the café out of nowhere and they started clicking my pictures. One of them even made his way inside the café to me and asked me a ridiculous question. Right now, I am hauled up in the bathroom of the café because the waiter asked me to leave and I don’t want to go there alone”, she said breathlessly while panic was obvious in her tone.

“Amber, listen to me. Can you wait there for another ten minutes? I will be there as soon as I can. Lock the door and don’t open it to anyone else other than me. I know that café and I am coming to take you. Okay?”, I said her while already making my way out of my office. She just sighed a breath of relief before hanging up on the call.