10

Okay I have two options. I could try and convince Enoch to tell me what the fuck is up, or ask Victor. I feel like asking Victor was a death sentence, but so was asking Enoch. It was the middle of the night and the stars sparkled in the sky brightly, almost like glitter. The moon's light scaring away the dark shadows. Getting out of my bed I tip toed to my door and cracked it open. Supposedly Victor's room was just two doors down from mine. Looking the other way I made sure no one was out. I slipped through the door and softly closed it behind me. I slowly made my way to the door and knocked quietly as I could. I didn't hear anything, no shuffling, no groaning. It was...silent, oddly silent. 

I do know barging into someones room without permission is wrong...but I had a lot of questions okay. So I went to open the door. Only problem was that it's locked. Why is it locked? A weird unsettling feeling settled over me, something was wrong with this. 

A hand covered my mouth and I almost let out a shriek, "Shhhhh, the key is on top of the door." Enoch? He let go of me as I spun around to meet his sour look. He raised an eyebrow, like he was in a hurry. I looked back at the wooden door and reached for the top. A cold metal feeling touched my finger tips and I grabbed the key. What a stupid place to hide a key. I glanced back at Enoch only to see him halfway down the hallway.

"Where do you think you're going?" I asked in a whisper. I could tell he was just going to just ignore me so I quickly grabbed his wrist and dragged him with me. I'm not doing this shit alone, he's the one who got me into this mess. 

"Let go of me!" He whisper shouted struggling against me. 

"Come on, I don't want to do this alone," I responded making sure I wasn't hurting his wrist. I put the key in the door and it unlocked. Opening the door I was greeted by a nice room and a guy laying on the bed, he looked like he was resting peacefully. I glanced at Enoch sense he stopped struggling. He wore a somewhat grim face. I let go of him and slowly made my way towards the strange man laying in the bed. I shook him slightly to try and wake him up but something felt awfully wrong. 

He was so cold. I hesitantly placed my hand on his neck to feel his pulse...nothing. No pulse. Wait no maybe I'm doing it wrong? 

I go to grab his left wrist but Enoch stops me, "It's no use, so stop touching him!"

There was a dead man in the house full of kids. That is so wrong on so many levels. 

"Wh-wha-what-" I was cut off by the glowering preteen. 

"He's dead," Enoch scoffed like I was dumb. "He got killed by the...I can't tell you what." 

"Why not?" I asked in fear. Why was this information being hidden from me?

"Would ya quiet down?!" He whispered sharply. 

"S-sorry," I mumbled. "But why can't you tell me?"

"The bird'll wring my neck if I say too much," He shrugged. "Ask her why dear old Vic is dead."

"You said I could ask him myself," I started confused. "But how can I ask a dead person something?"

He gave me a devious smirk, "Well, I could raise 'im for ya." So that was his peculiarity? Raising the dead? I wonder how he did that. 

"Isn't that...I don't know kinda rude to Victor?" I asked. "Wouldn't he want to rest peacefully?"

Enoch gave a slight shrug, "He does complain every time I do it." The sound of a door opening made a rush of adrenaline flow through me. I know I'm definitely not supposed to be here. Enoch quickly rushed to the door and closed it slowly, making sure he didn't make too much noise. 

"Could you please tell me how he died Enoch," I slightly pleaded. "I'll...I'll uh, is there anything you want?"

"How about for you to never bother me again?" He asked crossing his arms. I nodded in agreement, even though I know sometime later on I'll try to befriend him, it's just in my nature. "A Hollowgast got him."

"A Hollowgast?" I asked. 

"The bird really told you nothing huh," He sighed out, it seemed like he regretted his decision to tell me anything. "A Hollow is a monster that hunts us peculiar's. They feast on us and if they eat enough of us they turn into a wight. Hollow's can't get into loops but wights can. Watch out for them wights, they ain't got any pupils but they can change and blend in with those common folk. Victor tried to up and leave and as soon as he left BAM!  A Hollow snatched him right up. Poor lad, he was Bronwyn's brother so the bird decided to keep him here."

I took a seat as I let this all sink in. So literal monsters eat people like us...great. Well at least they can't get into loops, but I'm guessing these wights can so that's dangerous. Why didn't Miss P tell me about that? I think I have a right to know that my life is constantly in danger. So I guess that's why Miss P doesn't let anyone go out of the loop. Standing back up I put my ear to the door, I think the cost is clear. 

"I can sneak you back to your room," I said softly to Enoch. "Least I could do for telling me all of that."

"I don't need your help," He sneered.

"O-oh I just wanted to return the favor," I said rubbing my arm nervously. He just rolled his eyes and left leaving me alone. I also left the room going back into my own. I was left to swim in my own thoughts not knowing how I should react. Well tomorrow I can't act any different, the others may notice. I just need some rest, yeah. After some sleep I'm sure I'll feel better, it'll get my head straight.