chapter 6

(Luke's past)

"Don't put that in your mouth!" I exclaim playfully to my beautiful girlfriend of 3 years. She gave me the puppy pout but dropped the worm. She is such a daredevil. "Lukey!!!" She yells as she runs full speed to me. And of course I catch her. "What's up beautiful?" I ask her. As I ask her that her smile turn into a frown as she stares behind me. I turn to come face to face with her parents. Her father and mother. "Alyssa have you told luke the news?" Her mother asks with a straight expression. "What news?" I ask looking from her mother to her. "Luke now is really not the time for this." She says trying to walk away from the question. "No tell me. Alyssa what is it?" I ask again this time a little more stern. "Luke please stop asking." She says in a softer tone. "Why? What's going on-" I was cut off by her yelling with tears streaming down her face. "I'm moving back to Australia Luke." She says. I cant believe this. After all we have been through together she is leaving. "Why?" I ask out of my gritting teeth. "Well my parents-" I cut her off. "Your parents what?! Your an adult Alyssa you can make your own choices! Why would you want to drop everything between school and work. And well us!" I shout tears now pooling over my eyes. I see her face go from sad to annoyed/angry. "You really think I wanted this!" She yells back. I roll my eyes and let out a huff. "So what about us then?" I ask already knowing the answer. "I'm sorry Luke. I really am." She says going to hug me. I back away. "Good bye Alyssa." I say and walk away.

(Back to present) (Luke P.o.v)

"Luke?" Her voice says knocking me out of my thoughts. "What are you doing here?" St asks. "I should ask you the same thing Alyssa." As I take a look at her she hasn't changed a bit. Shes still the beautiful blonde haired bright blue eyed girl. She has speckled of freckles spread out around her face. "I work here." She says. "And this so happens to be my patients room." She says walking in. As she turns the corner of the room she is met with the face of Ashton. He looked just as shocked as I was. "Ash." Alyssa says before heading over to Sarah's bed side. "We already have a doctor though." Ash said. "He was called for a 911. I'm sure you know what that means or did you not peruse your dream as a doctor?" She said in a bit of a snotty way. "Actually I am a doctor im head of peds. And Ash is head of gyno. Cal is head of cardio and Mike is head of ortho. Now if you don't mind and check out this child who is in obvious pain." I say in a sorta snotty way. When I looked at Sarah I see her pained expression which pisses me off. This 'doctor' rather talk instead of take care of the patient. "Well she'll be fine just period cramps." She says before walk I g out. Oh that bitch is so fucking fired! I quickly storm out of the room and find where the chief's office and knock on the door. "Open." I hear what sounds to be an older man say. As I enter the room in met with a warm smile I couldn't help but send one back. "Please have a seat." He says. I sit down on the chair infront of his desk. "So what's this hours complaint?" He asks. Damn this hospital must be shit. "I'm Doctor Hemmings from Randol's Children's Hospital in Cali. I was witnessed with some of your doctors here who seem and please mind my words sir. But they are lazy asses. I have a critical patient me and my friend are here with her. I was wondering if I could take lead in her case along with my friend Dr. Irwin." I say as calmly as I can. He sighs and hands me a form. "Just sign this so I have records on the shitty doctors. And I give you and your friend full permission to proceed in taking lead in the case. Good luck." He says with a smile. "Thank you sir. And I will mail this form to you." I say as I head out the office and run back to the room Sarah is in. "Ash we have full dominance over this case." I say as I enter quickly washing my hands and gloving them him doing the same. "Nurse get me an ultrasound machine now!" Ash yells to a nurse who nods and runs out while I keep an eye on her vitals. This entire time her body is super pale and she is screaming. "Hey love shh its ok we are gonna help you get better. Just relax." I tell her as the nurse rushes in with an ultrasound. Without warning he squirts the jelly on her stomach and moves the probe around. "Shit. Get an OR now!" He says all seriously. As I look at the screen I can see why. Her appendix is literally moments away from bursting. "Luke go scrub in I'll be in in a minute." Ash says. I nod and walk out.

(Sarah P.O.V)

I watched as Luke rushed out of the room. I really couldn't focus on much. This pain was literally killing me. I couldn't tell I was screaming cause everything just went silent. I couldn't tell what was going on. Next thing I knew I was being wheeled into a new room where nurses were putting caps on and the same to me. Next thing I knew I felt a cold rush into my arm then I faded into the darkness.

I woke up in a different room with monitors all around. I look next to mw and see Luke holding my hand as he sleeps. If I'm being honest he sleeps quite cutely. To my left I see Ashton looking at a clipboard and then at me. "Well look who woke up. How you feeling sweets?" He asks lifting my gown a bit. "Ugh... I feel fine I guess. I feel little to no pain." He looks at me with a smile. "That's good and your stitches look to be healing properly as well. I say a night observation and we can head home." That word hit me hard. Home. I don't think I have one of those. Nor do I have how you say a family. That all was left behind. What really is the meaning of a home and family? I guess I'll never know.