e i g h t e e n

farah miller was awoken way earlier than normal by her phone ringing, she heard izzie hit the wall

farah miller was awoken way earlier than normal by her phone ringing, she heard izzie hit the wall. "seriously farah! turn that bloody thing off!" a tired izzie stevens yelled through the wall. "sorry izzie!" farah yelled back, grabbing her phone from the charger and answering it. she now realised it was her dad. her dad was preforming a surgery in seattle alongside derek shepherd. that made farah nervous, what happened if derek wanted her to scrub in?

farah jumped out of her bed at the time of 3 am, rushing into the bathroom to get ready for the day ahead. farah brushed her hair up into a high ponytail and grabbed her bag off necessities. farah took a quick snack from the kitchen before rushing outside, jumping in her little hyundai veloster and making her way to seattle grace. farah entered the hospital, receiving weird looks from people on night shift. dr bailey approached the brunette intern. "miller? what are you doing here?" the resident tiredly questioned. "my dad is coming here today to operate with dr shepherd. i just wanted to, i don't know, not be the disappointment for once?" farah said, looking at the ground. dr bailey patted the girl on the shoulder, "you're not a disappointment, you're my favourite intern." dr bailey said before beginning to walk away,
"right below o'malley," bailey quietly remarked, causing farah to laugh.

as 5 am struck, farah spotted more interns pilling into the building. farah approached george o'malley, "hey george," she politely greeted. farah liked george, he was kind and would make a great doctor someday. farah disliked how all the other interns judged him for a mistake, on a surgery that was set up for the intern to fail. "hey farah, you left early this morning." george replied as he signed off on charts, his blue eyes making contact with farah's brown ones for a split second. "yes, i just thought that i should get here early. be on the hunt for surgeries, you know." farah replied. george chuckled, "watch cristina be here an hour before you tomorrow." george cheekily
remarked. "2 am? jesus she's rolling." farah cracked, before she spotted derek shepherd exit the elevator.

derek stood beside farah, "i have a surgery with your dad today, you're scrubbing in. i want him to see how gifted you are." derek said, giving a smile before taking off. farah's face dropped, she didn't want to be in the o.r with her father. cristina came up beside her, "why the long face?" cristina questioned, looking over her charts. "nothing," farah quickly commented before heading off to go find derek, wanting to make sure she knew everything she could about this procedure and the patient.

farah found derek standing in the hallway, talking to one of the nurses. "patient charts and procedure?" farah questioned. derek handed her the chart, farah read 'malignant glioma'. derek gestured for her to follow him. the pair ended up in the scans room, where derek fiddled with the computer, making the patients scans appear on screen. farah frowned, "i know i'm no neurosurgeon, but isn't that an inoperable malignant glioma?" farah questioned, curious to as why he was operating. "i will be injecting the tumour with a virus that will attack and shrink the mass." derek explained. farah gave him a shocked facial expression. "is that going to work?" she questioned, flickering over the patients charts. "i'm not sure, i think it will." derek said with a shrug.

james miller entered the premises of seattle grace. miranda bailey is walked beside the surgeon, discussing james' harper avery he had won the prior year. james and bailey entered the technology room, where farah and derek stood. "dr miller, dr shepherd." james greeted. "dad, dr bailey." farah greeted in response before turning to the screens, whilst the other three doctors chatted. "dr miller, please present the patient." derek asked. farah nodded and turned, "sam buchanan, malignant glioma, symptoms consisted of headaches, seizures,
irritability, vomiting and visual defects." farah presented. "approach to recovery?" derek asked the intern. "we will inject mr buchanan with a virus that will attack and shrink the virus." farah finished.

james miller nodded, "what intern and resident will we have?" he questioned derek. "dr miller and dr bailey." derek replied. "i heard that dr yang is the best intern, any chance we could have her instead of miller?" james questioned. "no, dr yang is the best intern  for cardio cases. far- i mean, dr miller is the best intern for neuro cases." derek explained. james didn't seem to care that his daughter was the best intern for neuro, "okay, its on you if my daughter destroys your reputation." james replied with a shrug, both derek and bailey's eyes widened. farah didn't seem fazed, it was nothing unusual.

farah and derek were the first to enter sam buchanan's room, sam perked up at the sight of the duo. "hey dr miller and dr shepherd." sam greeted, before giving dr bailey and james a weird look. sam hadn't met bailey yet. "sam, this is dr miller and this is dr bailey." farah cured the patients confusion. "you're related?" sam questioned towards the two miller doctors. "ye-" farah begin before her dad interrupted, "no, just popular last name." james replied. farah was shocked, he had never more or less completely disowned her. farah looked down at the floor, she felt derek's hand on the small of her back, "you okay?" derek questioned. "i'm fine," farah replied.

farah, bailey, derek and james now stood in the scubbing room. james looked to derek, "how many patients has she killed?" james questioned. derek looked taken back, shocked. farah shook her head, entering the room. "none, dr miller. your daughter is very gifted." derek remarked, as they all entered the room. "so, dr miller, what fellowship are you thinking of?" james questioned. farah shrugged, "crossed between plastics and ortho." she replied. her father shook his head, "disappointment." he mumbled. farah frowned, looking up to the gallery. "i'll send in meredith. thank you for believing in me, dad." farah sharply replied, trying to hide the hurt in her voice.

"grey, shepherd and miller need you in the o.r 3." farah replied. "but i though you-" meredith begin. "nope, i left the room. please hurry." farah replied. meredith nodded, running down the hall.

after many hours, farah saw a team of disappointed surgeons making their way down the hall. derek made eye contact with farah, changing direction to make his way over to her. "not so good?" farah questioned. derek shook his head, "it'll work, i just need to figure out how to get the virus to only attack the tumour." derek replied. farah nodded, "you're derek shepherd, you'll figure it out." farah said. "are you okay?" derek asked, "your father was getting pre-" derek went to continue before being cut off by farah. "i'm good, it's nothing i haven't been dealing with my whole life." farah replied, giving a shrug. "sorry for leaving you in the lurch." she then added. "it's fine, really. i was about to kick him out of the o.r. sooo" derek replied.