Chapter Seven

"...And finally, I must tell you that this year, the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death.

"That seems to be everything of importance," Dumbledore said cheerfully, making Hunter stare at him. "Now off to bed!"

Professor McGonagall caught up to him after Dumbledore's speech and said, "Mr. Potter, the headmaster would like to discuss your schedule with you."

"Yes, Professor," Hunter said shyly, causing the woman to melt slightly before shaking herself. He followed her away from the Slytherin table and up to the staff table.

Dumbledore smiled genially at Hunter, but his eyes were full of annoyance. Hunter shrank back slightly. "Hello, my boy," he said gently. "Have you decided who you're going to sleep with and go to class with? I'm sure the Gryffindors would love to get to know you."

"Y-yes, sir." Hunter pulled out a piece of parchment that he'd been writing on through dinner and handed it to the headmaster.

Year One:

Gryffindor: eat
Slytherin: sleep
Ravenclaw: class
Hufflepuff: Head of House

Year Two:

Gryffindor: sleep
Slytherin: eat
Ravenclaw: Head of House
Hufflepuff: class

Year Three:

Gryffindor: class
Slytherin: sleep
Ravenclaw: eat
Hufflepuff: Head of House

Year Four:

Gryffindor: Head of House
Slytherin class
Ravenclaw: sleep
Hufflepuff: eat

Year Five:

Gryffindor: eat
Slytherin: Head of House
Ravenclaw: class
Hufflepuff: sleep

Year Six:

Gryffindor: sleep
Slytherin: class
Ravenclaw: Head of House
Hufflepuff: eat

"You seem to be missing your seventh year," Dumbledore mused, his eyes full of surprise.

"I -- I want to wait, sir, and see which one I'm most comfortable doing," Hunter said quietly.

McGonagall nodded admiringly. "Intelligent plan, Mr. Potter."

"I'll have Severus set up your dormitories," Dumbledore said swiftly. "I assume you would like to room with Mr. Malfoy and Mr. Zabini?" His eyes were full of irritation and disgust, but his smile was calm.

Hunter really didn't trust the headmaster.

"Y-yes, sir. Th-thank you," he mumbled.

"The Slytherin Prefects will lead you to the dungeons, Mr. Potter," McGonagall said briskly. When Hunter blanched, she said quickly, "That's where the Slytherin dormitories are, Mr. Potter."

"Why?" he squeaked.

"I assume Salazar wished a quieter, darker place for his snakes to sleep," Dumbledore said cheerfully. "Off you trot, my boy."

Hunter darted back over to Draco, Blaise, and Pansy, who were leaving the Great Hall with the other first years.

"What'd the old fool want?" Draco whispered. Hunter handed him the paper he'd just given Dumbledore in response, and Draco scanned it. "Smart idea," he mused, making Hunter blush.

"I want to see!" Pansy declared, and Blaise rolled his eyes. Hunter giggled.

------------

Monday/Wednesday: