Chapter Fifteen

PART TWO

Hunter was thrown out of the door, landing in the bushes. He howled in pain as the full moon turned him forcibly into his werewolf form, then yelped when his trunk flew past his head, followed by an owl cage. Hedwig shrieked furiously.

"AND DON'T COME BACK, FREAK!" Vernon bellowed, then ran back to the kitchen, where Petunia was undoubtedly trying to deflate "Aunt" Marge.

Whimpering and crying, Hunt limped to the sidewalk and collapsed, unable to walk further. Hedwig, whose cage had broken when Vernon had thrown it, flew over to Hunt and wrapped a wing around him, hooting softly.

Hunt sniffed, then froze, sitting up.

There was a dog nearby. A... human dog?

Wait, an Animagus....

A huge black form erupted from the bushes, and Hedwig shrieked again, shooting into the air.

Hunt whined and backed away, but the dog didn't attack, just paced around him, sniffing almost worriedly.

Who are you? Hunt whimpered.

Padfoot! the dog said indignantly. Sirius Black? Your godfather? Who turned you into a werewolf?!

Hunt flinched and replied, I was young....

He had a flash of memory.

"Padfoot! What the MERLIN are you doing?!"

"Nothing, Lils..."

"Put Hunter DOWN or I WILL hex you!"

Uncle Paddy! Hunt yipped excitedly and tried to leap on the dog but then collapsed, yelping in pain.

Where are you hurt? Padfoot barked anxiously, sniffing at him again.

Everywhere, Uncle Paddy, Hunt whimpered.

Well, I don't have a wand... I'll have to take you to Moony's, Padfoot said, his voice suddenly small, his eyes full of pain.

"Moony, thank goodness, that idiot husband of yours is-"

"What's Padfoot done this time?... Oh Merlin!"

"Stop LAUGHING, Moony, and HELP THE BABY!"

Uncle Moony? Hunt whispered.

Yes, Uncle M-moony, Padfoot rasped. He shook himself, then padded over to the trunk. Stay down, pup.

Yes, Uncle Paddy, Hunt mumbled.

The big black dog snatched a quill and parchment from the trunk and transformed into a man with black hair even worse than Hunter's. He quickly scribbled something on the parchment and thrust out his right hand.

BANG!

Before the Knight Bus stopped completely, Padfoot was back in dog form, bounding over to Hunt.

Cassie opened the door and yelped in alarm when she saw Hunt and Padfoot. "Hunter?" she breathed, crouching by the wolf cub. "Is that..."

Hunt whined and strained his head, blinking at her.

"Those Muggles will suffer my wrath," she hissed. Padfoot yipped quietly and handed her the paper. "Lupin Cottage?" Cassie mused. "Sure, I can bring you two there-"

Padfoot yelped and backed up, shaking his head.

"Just Hunter?" Cassie guessed.

"Cassandra?" Ernie called, sticking his head out the door. "What's-" his eyes widened when he saw the wounded werewolf cub. "Is that..."

"Yes, and we have an address," Cassie said briskly, her eyes flashing with anger. She picked Hunt up like a baby. "I'd bring him to mine, but Remus is a werewolf too; he'll be able to protect this smol bean."

Hunt blushed and nuzzled into Cassie's robes. Cassie cooed. "I didn't think you could get any cuter!"

Hedwig flew over them, screeched in Padfoot's face, and onto the bus. Cassie snickered, winked at Padfoot, and followed the owl onto the bus. Ernie flicked his wand, and the luggage and cage followed them.

"Is there money in your trunk, kiddo?" Cassie as she tucked him into one of the many beds. Hunt yawned and nodded, blinking sleepily up her. Cassie grinned and pulled a galleon out of the trunk.

Hunt tried to sleep, but it was rather difficult, considering that the Knight Bus jumped very violently every mile and he was covered in bruises; he had been bleeding from where he'd landed in the thorn bush, but Cassie had fixed up the scratches as best she could.

Finally, several BANGS and howls of pain later, the bus jolted onto a dirt road in the middle of the woods. It screeched to a halt in front of a small cottage. Hunt could hear snarls and howls from nearby.

"Bye, little one," Cassie said softly, kissing the space between his ears. Hunt licked her cheek in response. She gently lifted the cub out of the bed.

Ernie had charmed the trunk and cage out the door. Hedwig shot out of the bus, shrieking her displeasure; she hated the Knight Bus. Hunt yipped in tired, pained amusement, and Ernie and Cassie gave him concerned looks.

A snarl sounded from nearby, and Cassie quickly put Hunt on the grass, darting back up to the Knight Bus. "YEET!" she yelled, slamming the door shut. The bus disappeared with another BANG!

A huge werewolf ran out of the bushes, halting when he saw Hunt. Hunt whimpered and curled into himself.

Cub, the wolf growled, prowling closer and nosing him gently. Who hurt you?

Uncle Vernon, Hunt whimpered. The werewolf cocked his head in confusion, and Hunt explained, Mummy's sister's husband. He is... he searched for the word, a mean alpha human. Doesn't like wolves, he said quietly.

The older werewolf snarled protectively, pulling Hunt closer to him. Human will help you when full moon sets, he growled. I know nothing of healing.

Okay. Can I sleep, alpha? Hunt asked shyly.

The wolf made a noise suspiciously like a chuckle and nuzzled him. Yes. You may call me Moony.

Hunt blinked and sat up. Uncle Paddy said you were Uncle Moony!

I am not related to your parents, Moony said in confusion. And my human said our mate betrayed us.

Uncle Paddy wouldn't do that, Hunt pouted. He paused, then said, I'm Prongs' pup.

The stag? Our brother in the pack? Moony asked. When Hunt nodded, he said, You may call me 'Uncle Moony,' then. My human said Prongs was dead, he added in a quieter tone. Hunt nodded and snuggled closer to the werewolf, wincing. We are all that is left of the pack.

What about Cassie? Hunt asked.

The annoying human who shouts about Chile's and Yeet? Moony said irritably.

Cassie saved me from Uncle Vernon, Hunt said quietly. And so did Uncle Paddy.

Moony relaxed slightly. Then he said reluctantly, Fine. But I do not like her!