Chapter Thirty One: At A Loss

I wasn’t sure what I was expecting to find when I stumbled upon Kathryne and my father. Perhaps her, tied from the branches from a tree, torn and bleeding, or maybe cowered in fear as my father raved and ranted. Even seeing her passed out would have been acceptable, and even expected in her situation.

Once everyone had filled me in on what the plan was, I’d gone rushing off from the house towards the place they had suspected Amædus might have fled to. Damon had been correct in assuming that our father had hiding in the woods, drawn by the power of one of the artifacts there.

Though I hadn’t anticipated stumbling upon Kathryne and Amædus playing a game of strip poker. Nor did I expect to see her cackling gleefully as she won the hand, forcing him to take off another article of clothing. From what I could tell, she was still fully clothed. Amædus was hardly so lucky, down to a pair of boxers and a sock.

Kathryne was the first to notice me, green eyes lighting up with happiness as she spotted me. Jumping up from her spot, she abandoned her cards and rushed over, throwing her arms around my chest and hugging me tightly. “Took you long enough!” She squawked, burying her face into my shoulder. “Your dad sucks at this game.”

Absolutely baffled by her behavior, I hugged her back, not entirely sure what to do. “You’re all right?” I asked her, pushing her back so I could look her over. “You’re not injured?” She hadn’t been tortured?

“Eh, I might have a concussion, but other than that, I’m okay.” She replied, smiling. “Your dad wasn’t all that interested in tearing me into pieces.”

Everything was slowly starting to make less, and less sense. “How the hell did you convince him to play strip poker?!” Somehow, the prospect of her being hurt wasn’t as important as figuring out why they’d been playing card games.

Kathryne shrugged. “I was bored.” Was her only explanation for the event, as if that explained everything.

It did not. “Kathryne, why strip poker?” Why not black jack, or regular poker?

She blinked. “I’m not sure.” She replied, stepping closer to me. “He sucks at it though.”

Obviously. “O.K.” If she didn’t have an answer for it, I wasn’t going to further pursue one.

It was going to be one of the great mysteries of life.

A deep threatening snarl drew me from my dazed stupor. Amædus had finally noticed that I’d arrived. He said nothing, red eyes narrowing into a fierce glare as he drew himself into a combative stance.

“Damn, he ruined the mood…” Kathryne sighed, stepping out from in front of me to use me as a shield. “I don’t think he’s interested in playing cards anymore.” She said, hiding behind me.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d be seriously concerned for her sanity. “Claire and Damon will be here soon. I want you to stay with them when they get here, okay? It’s not safe.” I had no idea what was about to happen, or how it would turn out. Damon would keep her from doing anything stupid, in any case.

She nodded, giving me another hug. “You’re not allowed to get yourself killed, you understand me?” She stated, poking my sides with her fingers. “Things are boring, when you’re not around.”

That was about as much of an admission of love I was going to get out of her at the moment, huh? “Sorry, I can’t promise anything right now, sweetheart.” If I were lucky, things would go just as planned, and I’d be beat up, but all right.

Tugging on my shirt, she poked me again. “Spoilsport.” She rolled her eyes. “Then, if you’re going to die, kick his ass first.” She said, waving in my father’s general direction. “It would be pathetic if you went and got killed without laying a scratch on him.” A tiny smile on her face, she kissed my cheek, then darted away towards the trees.