Chapter Thirty Two: Reality Comes Crashing Down

The only thing more boring than sitting around doing nothing, was standing around doing nothing and watching two vampires circling each other threateningly while waiting for another person to get there so they could actually start attacking each other. It was dull because it was tense, and had been for the past hour or so while we waited for my uncle to get there.

There’s only so much suspense I could take before it got old, real quickly. The pair were no longer lions, but Chihuahua's circling a long awaited bone, still waiting for the bone to get there. It was kind of cute, but also annoying.

It was boring because with the tension as thick as it was, it was nearly impossible for me to tear my eyes away from them. Since to do anything else, I usually had to look at it, that made doing any other activity that would cause the time to pass by faster, somewhat moot.

“He must be walking very slowly…” I ground out, tapping my foot impatiently. I wanted to get this whole thing over with as soon as possible. It had already been dragged out for far too long than it deserved.

Damon sighed. “Be patient Kathryne. This place is deep within the forest. The only reason Adrian, Claire, and I got here so fast was because we can move faster than humanly possible. Eric is going to take awhile, especially carrying a heavy sword.” He scolded, tapping my upper arm.

I glared at him, annoyed. “So we’re going to be stuck here for a few more hours then?” I asked him, poking him back.

“Unfortunately.” He replied, engaging me in an impromptu poke war.

Oh joy. “So, I’ve been stuck here in a forest, since mid-morning, without food to eat, and I’m going to be here until after dinner too.” My stomach growled, punctuating my point. “Did either of you think to bring me something to eat?” I hadn’t seen them bring a cooler along with them. Unless they’d brought snack food, which would be fine so long as they’d brought me enough to fill my stomach, and not just one or two small things.

It got really quiet for a moment, before Adrian paused in his weird dance with Amædus. “You know, that was something we’d forgotten about. At the time, I was more concerned about getting you home than feeding you.” Then he went right back to what he was doing before.

Both Damon and Claire looked guilty. “Didn’t even cross my mind.” They both chimed.

So not only was I in a chilly forest at night wearing only jeans and a T-shirt, I was hungry! “This is what I get for being friends with vampires.” I groaned, pinching my nose.

Claire rolled her eyes. “I’m not a vampire hon, I’m just not entirely human either.” Well, that was comforting.

“Either way, you all forgot to feed me.” I complained, stomping my foot. I wanted food darn it! Being hungry was like being woken in the morning; it made me grumpy as hell. The one difference between them was that not eating made me tired, and a tired me did terrible things to people.

“Take a nap then. We’ll wake you up later.”

Maybe I’d get to have a nap this time, instead of being interrupted. I didn’t really want to sleep, but there wasn’t much else to do. “Ya got something I can sleep on?”

What felt like only a few minutes to me was probably a few hours as Claire shook me awake, staring into my eyes with worry. “Kathryne, wake up.” Another shake.

Moaning, I sat up on the jacket I’d been lying on. Wincing as a sharp pain split my side. “What?” I snapped, angrier than I’d meant to, one of my hands pressing against the side that was hurting out of nowhere.

Her eyes narrowed. “You’re hurt.” She stated bluntly, tapping the hand I’d placed on my side. “And they’ve started fighting.”

Thank you for stating the obvious. I stood up, handing Damon back the jacket. “I’m fine, and thanks for waking me up.” Why did my side hurt so badly? More importantly, why hadn’t the pain woken me up?