Chapter 23

TW!!!!! TW!!!!! Brief mentions of rape and suicide TW!!!!! TW!!!!!!!

Ya'll are gonna fucking hate me so much during this chapter, I just know it, but trust me, you guys, I have... alright, I don't have a fucking plan- literally, this story and every chapter can go in any direction- but I feel like ya'll need shit to head south for a second.

Love ya all- and enjoy.

***

"Honey, look at this dining table- isn't it better than the other one?" My mom held out a magazine for my dad, which he looked at with furrowed eyebrows, muttering a 'maybe' under his breath.

I flipped the page in my magazine, my eyes shifting over the pictures of desks and bookshelves- I'd mostly stayed silent, leaving my parents to picking out the furniture for their house on their own- after all, I wasn't going to live here with them anyways. The thought was... surprisingly un-depressing. I wasn't sure how I felt about that. I pursed my lips.

After all, I'd had to admit that...

"Paige, which dining chairs do you think better with this table?" I looked away from the tile floor, back at my mom who was holding out a page with pictures of three different kinds of dining chairs.

"Uh, I like the ones with the bowed backrest better- they'll probably be more comfortable to sit in, but I mean, you're the ones who are going to be living with them so..." I said with a shrug. She looked down at the magazine again with pursed lips and then nodded to herself, sadness suddenly taking over her eyes.

She shook her head. "I still can't believe that you'll never... that you won't be living with us ever again, even with all this... I don't know, I always had a feeling that you'd be coming back to your room..." she shrugged and wrapped her arms around herself, as if she were cold.

I put my arm around her, resting my head on her shoulder, and making eye contact with my dad, who had the same sad look on his face. "Mom, dad... you really don't have to worry. Allen doesn't seem..." I sighed. "He doesn't seem like he wants to keep me away from you, I might be wrong but I think that I'll be able to visit often, hopefully, anyways. I think... I think all of this will be alright, all things considered,"

M dad scoffed. "Yeah, it'll be alright as long as you give birth to his furry little mutts, and spread your legs for that beast whenever he wants you to..." his eyes widened, and he looked down at the IKEA magazine in his hand. His eyes darted back to me, anger filling them. "Is that why he's doing this?! Have you promised to sleep with that thing to get us a house? Has he told you to?! I swear to god if he has touched you as much as once I will cut his tiny little-"

"HE HASN'T!" my dad stared at me, the anger still in his eyes. I shook my head. "Dad, he hasn't... I haven't... we haven't... ugh, dad..." I placed my head in my hands, taking a deep breath. "He hasn't... he hasn't even tried to touch me. I think that he's... genuinely trying to help, he's trying to make me happy, because he knows that I've worried about you guys living in the slums. I think he's really just trying to be a good guy, and... make things better for you two," I shrugged, my arms wrapped around me.

His eyes narrowed, a sour smile making its way to his lips. "Paige, he is a monster, come on, do you really think he's doing this, spending all of this money just to be nice? No hidden motives? Come on, I raised you to be smarter than that," he looked at me with a kind of pity in his eyes- one that seemed angry more than anything.

A sigh passed my lips. "Papa, you're literally standing in the house he built for you, looking at furniture he's willing to buy you... I think that you should be a bit nicer. He's actually really, really... nice, and I think that you're being... kind of unfair. Allen hasn't touched me, not at all, and he got you guys out of the slums and pops and nana out of the awful excuse for a nursing home, so... be nice, he's not given me any reason to distrust him so... so neither should you,"