CHAPTER SEVENTEEN ~MADDIE~

My fingers tap the glass of the window as I sit on the ledge and stare outside, watching as if anything is going to change anytime soon. The gray clouds move fast and boom overhead as the rain falls and crashes all around us, the sound of it on the roof a relentless pounding.

Looks like we aren't going to make it back out today or anytime in the near future anyway. It's been like this outside all day and hasn't let up even a little since this morning.

We didn't get very far in the truck, only a few cities over before we ran out of gas. We ditched the truck and managed to make it a good five miles or so on foot before the storm rolled in and it started to pour. That was a few hours ago, and it hasn't stopped since. So we've been stuck, holed up in this tiny house, and I already feel like I'm going stir crazy.

My leg shakes restlessly, and I still it with my hand. Not being able to keep going, when I feel this anxiousness to get moving, is unsettling. I feel the time ticking, passing us by while we get nowhere.

It's only been a few hours. The storm will let up and we'll get moving again. We just have to wait it out. I repeat this to myself over and over again, trying to keep my anxiety at bay.

I catch myself biting my nails and quickly pull my hand away from my mouth, turning my body around to look at Aiden and Alex. Aiden is sprawled across the old sectional and Alex is lying on the floor, her feet resting up against the wall.

"Isn't there anything we can do to pass the time?" I desperately ask them both.

Alex stills her hands, stopping her taps against the floor and looks at me. "Seriously, I'm bored as hell, but I'm too lazy to move right now."

Aiden just grunts in response.

I sigh a, "Whatever," and turn to resume my stare outside. I pull my legs up onto the ledge and stretch them out in front of me, crossing one leg over the other. Pulling my hoodie on, I thump my head back against the wall, groaning out a long sound of frustration.

"Take it easy there. What are you so anxious about?" Aiden asks me.

My eyes don't leave the window as I answer. "I don't know. Don't you feel like we should be moving? I feel stuck, trapped in this tiny piece of junk house."

Aiden laughs. "Relax. It can't stay this way forever. We'll get out of here soon enough."

"I just hate feeling stuck here. It doesn't help that it's so dark and gloomy outside, I can hardly see anything out there." Thunder booms and lightning brightens the sky momentarily. "Creepy," I mutter and push myself up and away from the window.

I stretch and begin making my way across the living room, which also happens to be the dining room and kitchen. I rummage through cabinets mindlessly, finding nothing. Walking to the back of the house and into the four walled box of a bedroom, I find myself staring out of yet another window. There's nothing but a gray stretch of land and sky and clouds, all blurred by the downpour of rain.

I leave the room, running my hands along the walls as I make my way back into the living room. Aiden and Alex haven't moved an inch.

"Come on, guys!" I beg.

Alex smacks her hands against the floor and pulls herself up. "Dude, you're killing me. Chill out!"

"How are you two not bored out of your minds?" I throw back at her, feeling frustrated.

"What do you suggest we do?" Aiden asks, tilting his head to look towards me.

"I...I don't know! You two are supposed to come up with that part."